Can't figure out why ph is low

SeaLover

Well I did a 15 gallon water change tonight. I had to add buffer and calcium to the water change water. We have def decided what it boils down to is we need to buy an ro/di system of our own. This way we can do our own mixing. I will post new water params tonight and see where I am at now after the change.

BarbMazz

I think you'll be very happy with your own RO/DI unit. They are not terribly expensive, and it's a good feeling to have the control, plus having water on hand right when you need or want it. I'm betting you'll see a significant change in quality in your tank when you make the change.

SeaLover

Yea we are getting one really soon! We have just been on the fence about it bc we are about to build a house soon and didnt want to put anymore $ or time into our current home. But on the same token we love our tank and will do what we have to do to keep it happy. I will be addicted to water changes!

prow

SeaLover, have you tested your alk yet? ph is not a measure of your alk, it only tells us if the water is more basic or acidic, what the H+ is doing. get a alkalinity test kit, salifert test kits are good to use. i know i am the only one that asked about your alk and suggested alk could be your issue. then after reading what boomers and i posted you may think alk is not relevant for your issues, i think it might be. so to rule out low alk, test it:).

BarbMazz

Yea we are getting one really soon! We have just been on the fence about it bc we are about to build a house soon and didnt want to put anymore $ or time into our current home. But on the same token we love our tank and will do what we have to do to keep it happy. I will be addicted to water changes!

RO/DI units are mobile! You can take it with you when you go! :D

SeaLover

Prow I do have a sailfert alk test. I need to retest everything today again. I have a calc, alk, and mag test. I changed 15 gallons of water yesterday an woke up today and the ph was back down to 7.8. It was 8.0 when I went to bed.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Prow

I see where you are going but it is not all in the same direction :) Not the I'm perfect

tanks with lower alk and high pCO2 levels have a lower saturation state comapred to tanks with high alk and the same pCO2 level, in regaurds to aragonite.

I agree.

At a reading of 7.8 a higher alk will increase the pCO2 saturation state.

Not sure what "pCO2 saturation state" means exactly.

At fixed pH 7.8 and higher alkalinity, pCO2 must be higher, or else the pH would have risen with the alkalinity.

At fixed pH 7.8 and higher alkalinity, the calcium carbonate saturation (or supersaturation) will be higher as only the amount of carbonate and calcium determine it, and at fixed pH, higher alkalinity means higher carbonate.

thus, alk dose effect the impact CO2 has.

It's a somewhat confusing statement. The higher alkalinity did not "cause" the pCO2 to be higher. But if you claimed the pH was fixed and the alkalinity was higher, then pCO2 must have been higher.

i never said alk changed pCO2 levels

I agree that it does not.

or ph in regaurds to CO2.

Well, it does do that. At a fixed pCO2, higher alkalinity leads to higher pH.

i said alk effects the impact CO2/pCO2 levels have period,

It does not impact the direction of the effect, but I agree it will impact the pH that you get for a given pCO2 or for a change pCO2.

you jumped on the idea that i meant alk effects changes in CO2. you assumed i meant Alk effects pCO2 changes. but i said alk effects the impact of pCO2 changes.

Alkalinity will impact the size of the resulting pH or supersaturation changes due to PCO2 changes, but it will not impact the direction. Higher pCO2 always lowers pH and calcium carbonate saturation.

Your posts prow are often confusing and contradictive. I you can't agree with the above you need some more studing :)

Something I repeated about Alk does not affect CO2 and CO2 does not effect Alk. Yet, if the Alk is higher the CO2 is higher. You have to look at how this is done. It is from buffers or the addition of an acid or base. If you add and acid like HCl the Alk goes down the and CO2 is not affected. If you add a base like NaOH or Ca(OH)2, then the pH goes up and the CO2 still remains the same. If on the other hand, we are adding buffer like BS or BBS it is different, as it is a buffer. Such carbonate buffers effect the CO2 and Alk. If you add 1 eq of BS there will be an increase of 1 eq of CO2 and 1 eq of Alk. If on the other hand it is BBS, there will still be an increase of 1 eq of CO2 but a 2 eq increase Alk. So these buffers effect both and cause shifts in all three, CO2, Alk and pH

Pool Man

No chemistry major here... just seems you might have missed something. Have you tried a different tester or means to test? If not, it's worth a shot. Your tank has been stable,for the most part, over a five year period? Anything changed in your rountine lately? I am still new to the hobby, just looking from a different perspective and trying to learn a few things along the way.