Can you keep a pair of six line wrasse?

spiraling

Hi,
I've searched all over the interwebs, but it seems that there is very little information on pairing six line wrasses.

1 - I have a 40 breeder frag tank. it recently had flatworms I want to make sure they stay dead (and a few bristleworms, not trying to eradicate them, but I wouldn't mind a few disappearing). I was thinking about a six line to help out. I have always loved their colors, but am skiddish about putting one in my DT. I have a peppermint shrimp and an emerald crab in the frag tank, but no other fish.

2 - I have read that the six line start off female, then the larger ones turn male. As this is very similar (although opposite) of clown fish, I was wondering if you can get two six line juveniles and have them pair up. I have seen pairs in pictures of other peoples aquariums, but I have not seen any information on how to get a pair. If you have a pair, how did you get them?

3 - As I have read horror stories of six lines and aggression, as well as ones who are model citizens, please let me know if one and/or two is a huge mistake. I'm planning on keeping them in this tank without other fish. What other fish might be good for pest control in a 40 breeder instead of the six line? The melanurus wrasse will do the job, but get quite a bit larger and I don't think a 36" tank is long enough. I understand the flasher wrasses, which also need more room, don't eat the flatworms and bristleworms.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

DaveK

I don't think two 6 line wrasses would work out very well. That being said, you can always try it. Over the years I have heard of quite a few fish combinations that people have had that really shouldn't work out at all. So you may get lucky. If you do try this make sure you have a plan B in case things don't work out.

spiraling

Thanks Dave,
Plan B is to give one to a LFS nearby that will take it for free. Which is fine. (Assuming I can get it out in time) I'm hoping to have a couple of days 'honeymoon' period to observe them without too much aggression since they will be young. I also have an 'isolation box' to keep one in the tank if needed.

I'm building some extra rock caves for hiding tonight so there will be territory options. And I will be putting a net over the tank (until I get a better lid) so a jumper has a chance. Hope I thought of everything. Any other hints on how to make it better for them is welcome. It would be awesome to have a pair.

I'm surprised with the popularity of this fish that there is so little information on them.

spiraling

Yes, I have thought of this too. I can get more pods, but i also understand they readily eat frozen and flake? I'm not opposed to upping the pod population by trying a pod farm. I can easily add bristles from the DT. I don't want them to starve by any means, but I haven't read anywhere that they are reliant on pods like mandarins are? Do you have any other info on this?