can i use lava rock?

willieboy240

so can i use two 20 lbs piece of lava rock with assorted fuji & tonga rock. my LFS said that there are to many minerals in the lava rock. is this true? thanks,
willie

Flipper

Sturgeon General
Originally posted by willieboy240
my LFS said that there are to many minerals in the lava rock. is this true?

The problem is that you don't know what minerals are in the lava rock. Personally, I would avoid it. JMO

Maxx

I'm using a 20 something lb lava rock in my reef, and dont have any problems that can be attributed to that sort of thing.
I say go for it.
Nick

jks1

couple of other concerns, Lava rock is very sharp and can damage the jaws of fish that graze the rock. Also think of where it came from- heavy metals>?????

fidojoe

Fish Addict
My LFS said that it leahes phosphates, heavy metals, and some bad minerals, and I have to agree. Like jks1 said, think of where it came from.

wooddood

the wood dude
i really dont think i would at this point in my knowlege of lava rock witch is nill.but i would love to hear some other opinons.good question though,thanks.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well all I can say is that when I had a 29 gallon reef tank well over 30 years ago the only thing we had was lava rock.

As far as I can remember I never had any problems with it and it was a beautiful tank for over a year and a half and then got broken in a residence change.

I had a flame scallop, shrimp, jawfish and they all did very well!:)