Calcium Reactor Effluent

Scouter Steve

Hey all, just set up a Ca reactor and have some questions. I tested the effluent and come up with Alk at 37.8 dKh/13.52 meq/l (sailifert) and Ca somewhere around 680ppm (API). Are these numbers what I should expect? I have the CO2 ste at a bubble/sec and Ph is 6.6-6.7 right now. Effluent is dripping at almost a stream like 2-3 drops/sec. Tank readings today are Alk 9.6 dKh/3.43 meq/l and Ca at 460 ppm.

Triggerjay

Sounds like everything is about right to me. Remember, your effluient is concentrated. It would be like running tests on a 2 part solution before it is added to the tank. It seems high, but gets diluted in the tank. Oh, I got my PH controller today. Talk about making setup a breeze. No more playing with a bubble counter for me! Now, the only adjustments I have on the reactor, is the circulation valve on the pump, and metering the effluient. Best $100 I have spent on my system so far. I got the controller from bulk reef supply. (formerly twopartsolution.com)

Jason

Scouter Steve

I had a controller from my freshwater planted tank days. I can't imagine doing a Ca reacter without a controller.
I will test every other day to see if my levels stay dead on.

Triggerjay

I will be testing every day for the next two weeks I would say... I like the idea of once getting it set properly though, not having to mess with it all the time as I did before the controller.

Jason

Scouter Steve

Must have the drip of effluent to fast---10.6 dKh today! I know I am not in danger yet but I did slow the drip. Question though, should I raise the Ph in the reacter? It is still 6.6-6.7.

Triggerjay

6.5 to 6.7 is fine, But the PH will drop even more however, if you slowed the effliuent. So, you may have to re-adjust the Co2 rate to keep your PH from dipping too low. (below 6.5) Let it run overnight at the new slower effluient, and check the reactor PH again. It looks as you alk has increased 1.0 dKH in one day. I think it was a good idea to slow the effliuent. Thats quite an increase in 24 hours. Just keep an eye on the reactor PH so you don't turn your media to mush by dipping too low.

Jason

Mattfish

I've gotta decide when to get mine back up and running - this will all be very helpful. Sounds like it's a 6.6pH with about a 30 ml / minute flow is what I understand.

In our case, I want to make sure it won't run up our Alk. We're finally getting it down a ways and our Ca is up to 480. I'm not even sure I want to turn mine back on...... although it bugs me that we never had it set up right in the first place..... And Korallin doesn't even ship instructions with their units.....

Mattfish

That seems to be the wisest move for now. Having read more of Tullock's Marine Chemistry book, I'd have lots of questions anyway before restarting it.

With the water changes we've done recently, I took a chance this morning, and dosed some Magnesium and some Calcium. Both levels went up noticeably, so the water is in decent shape, despite an Alk of 13. The Ca went to 480, so I'm going to leave that alone and test daily to make sure it doesn't drop off, and with Mg at 1230, continue to dose that until it come up to around 1400 or so, and keep it there by monitoring.

Daily Alk testing will probably tell me how the water is doing - if there's a rise in the Alk, then I probably still need to do some more water changing until it comes down to around 10, but am trying to avoid changing too much water to keep the systems stable. Nitrates are staying around 0, and we're keeping the skimmer watery to ensure it errs on the side of removal of all nitrates for now, since we've accepted that we're heavily stocked on fish. (There, Becky, I said it!) I'm also keeping a powerhead in the fuge, injecting air (therefore oxygen) into the fuge and at least adjusting the system for heavy bioload.

(Boomer, if you're reading this, please tell me if I'm learning something....)