HELP! Buying used tank

Pessy

Hi guys,

Super glad to have found you all. I'm a beginner with a 46 gallon tank and I have an opportunity to purchase a Red Sea Max S 500 led. It was used for about one year and it's in pristine condition as it was cared for by a dedicated hobbyist. I have a few questions for anyone who can give me advice.
1) Is it a good system and what are the red flags? 2) Which accessories will I minimally need to add at first to get it up and running properly?
3) The price is $2000. Is that a good value?

Looking forward to hearing from you all,
Pessy

Nobbygas

Pessy - Welcome aboard :)
I don''t know about the price in the US. Have a look online to see what a new one is going for.
It should come with everything you need to get it up and running, apart from substrate, rocks and livestock, although maybe these are part of the deal?
Does it come with the stock C-Skim 1800? Not a Red Flag as such, but if it has the stock skimmer then you'll probably want to replace it at some point.
There are a couple of threads on this forum regarding the S-Series tanks. Have a peek at them. The only difference between a S-650 and a S-500 is the size, otherwise they are the same.
They are fantastic tanks. Once setup you don't have cables hanging everywhere and they look like a really nice piece of furniture.

Oh, and pictures. We all love pictures :)

SPR

Hi Pessy Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!

Sounds like a bargain to me as they are around £3800 here in the U.K new for the Max S 500 so your $2000 would be around £1506. I don’t know what the new cost in the US is but it sounds very cheap to me and a bargain, assuming there’s nothing wrong with it.

Assuming it’s got all the pumps etc you don’t need to add anything as apart from heaters they are plug and play.

There are no real red flags and the systems are stunning, and yes you can change the skimmer etc as you learn. Everything is hidden away out of sight so no wires or pumps hanging everywhere. Well, as long as you don’t look at the back! Lol

Last edited: