buying pods, where to put them?

kyle4201

I'm buying pods soon and was wondering if I put them in the refugium, wouldn't the return pump motor chop them up sending them to the main tank? or should I just dump them in the main tank?

Kaze3

I'm buying pods soon and was wondering if I put them in the refugium, wouldn't the return pump motor chop them up sending them to the main tank? or should I just dump them in the main tank?

Refugium is perfect. With some rubble rock and or macro algae, they will be able to grow and multiply in peace. Yea some will end up getting sucked into the return pump, but believe it or not most actually survive and make it into the main display.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Both if you ask me. Beneficial on both sides. Although I would say tisbe pods in the refugium and bigger pods in the display

BLADEYAMAHA

Whether putting them in the Ref. or DT as long as they have a place to hide and protect themselves from predators, in time, it doesn't matter where you put them, but they are prolly better off in the refugium.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Half in the tank the other half in the fuge. Wait until after the lights are out before you put them in the tank. Otherwise you might as well just call them fish food:smoking:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
+1 to what Bear said. You want some of those guys in the DT so they can start a population there for your starfish.

jerry26

half and half sounds like a good idea to me. i just bought some cheato from a guy that had pods and put it in my fuge now my tank is loaded with them so i can say for certain that they will survive the return.

kyle4201

well there r no fish in my DT yet (all in my QT) so ill just do it when they get here, and from one of our sponsors.. reef cleaners .

Oxylebius

If you place some in your DT, kill your pumps to let the pods find place in your live rock to live in.

frisbee

If you don't have a specialized feeder such as a mandarin, they do no good IMO, they're just there. Your more efficient than they are when it comes down to a CUC/janitor.

kyle4201

Got a bunch of these guys on my MT glass. Sooooo small. they could have been there for 3 weeks, I never would have noticed them.
20130722_001707_zps89ebfdbc.jpg

Also this guy 24 HOURS! wow
20130721_235401_zpsd42ecb20.jpg