bubbles.... lots of them

ds69

ok so i just got my new 250 watt mh pendant for my 44 gallon corner tank. The light looks wonderful and everything looks way better and more colorful. But now im having another problem. It seems after the lights have been on for awhile like maybe 4 or 5 hours i start getting bubbles. Little air bubbles that attach to things such as the rocks, plants some corals even. How long should i be running my lights also? What should i do to stop this? everything seems to be doing fine but i suspect the ph is going to high. Im going to test it tonight when i get home from class and maybe take some pictures tommorow.

Thanks
Kevin

lgerold

Is there even the slightest algae or cyano coating on these items? Cyano and algae will grow quickly under the bright lights. Algae releases oxygen, and cyano releases nitrogen as they grow.

More current may be helpful.

ds69

The tank had been set up for about a year and then crashed due to a sea cucumber getting sucked into the pump. It killed off all of the fish and corals except for a few polyps and mushrooms that managed to survive it. It sat for a few months and then i eventually drained it sucking out as much debris as possible. By this time everything was broken down if it hadnt been removed already. I filled it back up and slowly started over again. Its now been set up for about 5-6 months. It was fine till I just got the new 250 watt lights a week ago. There is no cyano, no algae or anything. I will take pics tommorow.

Kevin

ds69

Ok heres the photos to me it seems like they shouldnt be there. The worst is the poor yellow polyps there.

Kevin

Attachments

• DSCN02100.jpg
    DSCN02100.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0212.JPG
    DSCN0212.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0213.JPG
    DSCN0213.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 62

ds69

so do you think it will subside after awhile or should i just remove the macro algae and put it all in my refugium? i have it set up but i just havent put the old 125 watt mh over it yet I just need to hang it. Its wierd because the bubbles dont appear till after 3 or so hours after the lights have been on. They I start noticing them and they slowly get worse till lights out.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I had exactly the same thing when I added MH, cut back the time and ramp up real slow, it will go away.Steve

lgerold

The fact that the bubbles worsten with the lights out backs up the theory that it is being caused by an algae film.

I've had lavishly planted freshwater tanks for several years. We're always pleased when those bubbles appear. It means that the plants are growing vigorously.

In order to produce this bubbling effect in freshwater tanks, there are a few important details. One is enough nutrients for excellent growth. The other is that there is enough carbon dioxide present in the water to fuel the plants. I think these two details could be manipulated in the marine tank to REDUCE this effect.

In order to make enough CO2 available to the plants in freshwater aquariums, we have to add CO2 and minimize water flow. So, I'd suggest increasing the water flow at the surface to blow off the excess CO2. More water flow in the tank will also help blow off the bubbles. A bio-wheel could be helpful in oxygenating the water. So would an effective skimmer and/or airstone in the refugium.

How is the macro doing in the refugium? Can you take a photo so that we can see how much macro you have? You need lots, especially since you likely have excess nutrients in the water. I've seen pretty pictures with just a few stalks of macro. To be effective, the fuge should be like a jungle. It's not supposed to be pretty! What kind of light have you got running over the 'fuge?

I would guess that instead of your PH being high, your PH is low. What are your water params? I expect that your phosphates and or nitrates are running high. Even if they are not, the algae can use the nitrates and phosphats as fast as they are being released. But, knowing the values will be helpful for us to make suggestions.

ds69

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fact that the bubbles worsten with the lights out backs up the theory that it is being caused by an algae film."

the bubbles are gone when the lights are out not worsten. Right now there is no plants in the refugium yet im waiting till i hang the light over it. The plants have been in the main tank the whole time from the beginning. Its just there werent these bubbles till i upgraded my mh from 125 to 250 watt. The new lights is all that has changed. I havent trimmed the macros as much as I usually do so there is slightly a larger volume of them if that matters at all.

Kevin

lgerold

I'm sorry - light "OUT" was a typo. Meant to type "Light ON".

Because of the extra light, the algae film is happier.

Glad to know you don't yet have macro algae in your 'fuge. Once that really gets going, fewer nutrients will be available for the film in the main tank.

Honest - except for my typo, the info is accurate.

Water params?

lcstorc

Depending on the algae I would remove it instead of moving it to the fuge. It all depends on what it is. Cheato is the most univerally liked but I have heard of many different kinds beaing used. Just don't move cyano there or something like that. Cyano and many algaes should just be removed while many are great fuge inhabitants. Right now I have chaeato, red bunny ear, red tang heaven, and ulva as macro in my fuge. Some, like the tang heaven, and ulva, are both in the fuge and used as food for my tangs.