Bubble algea?

Susan987

Question: I've had some green algae on my return hose in my 90 gallon aquarium. I read that algae is good for nitrate control, etc. so I left it alone. I have started noticing clear bubbles in the algae. It does not look like bubble algae but I don't know what else it may be. Any suggestions or thoughts?

DaveK

It's really tough to tell from a short description. Could you post a picture? (I think you need 5 posts to post an image)

Since this is on a return hose, I would tend to clean it off.

anarchy

Without pics it's hard to say but if you are having algae and there's clear bubbles on the algae it is most likely air bubbles getting stuck to the algae. Very common. Lightly touch the bubble. Bubble algae will be firm and normally a green tint. If it's firm definitely don't pop it or it'll spread like crazy

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm thinking that the algae you have heard that is good for nitrate control would be more like growing macro algae in a refugium. It would be good to post a picture (you only need one more post to be able to post a picture) of the algae you are questioning whether to leave or remove. A lot of algae in the DT tank can get ugly.
How long has your tank been running? How high are your nitrate & phosphate levels testing?

Susan987

Thank you for the responses. I will check to see if it is air when I get home. Then, hopefully I will be able to add an image.