BTA and LTA's

Uncle99

In recent posts we have been hearing about trouble with anenomes. Anenomes are not difficult and quite long lived, but require the following.
- perfect salinity and temp
- very bright light, say 400-500 PAR, correct spectrum, MH or LED.
- once or twice a week feedings
- stable conditions
- moderate and changing water flows.

BTA's will lose their Bubbles if your light is not strong enough. Their tentacles will look more like a LTA. LTA,s will look somewhat weak and tentacles will go more flat instead of upwards if the light is two weak. Both get most of their energy from the light, so feeding should be done sparingly. At the most, 1 fingernail size piece of shrimp touched to the mouth and held until the anenome has a full grasp, say once, maybe twice a week at most. Resist over feeding this animal

Instability in the animals bio-sphere, degrading water, two much food, temp, may result in the animal doing 1 of 3 things.

1. It may divide.
2. It may release eggs and sperm.
3. If the instability is large and sustained it will shrink, come apart, detach. If this happens remove. It can and will poison your tank.

If you see "smoke" this is not the aminmal dying, it is the release of sperm. If you see smoke, you may also see very tiny brownish eggs floating in the water.

At the same time, this reaction means the tank is not stable and something has changed. The divide or the eggs release is the way the animal ensures it species continues, it has learned this over 1000's of years.

I hope this may help others enjoy their anenomes for years. Super cool animal.

Pat24601

It'll be a while before I can add an anemone, but this is a great guideline. Good to know we have an expert on the forum.

DaveK

I agree with the excellent post by @Uncle99. Generally it takes a new tank about a year before is is stable enough for an anemone. Don't try to rush things here.

If seems a lot of new people to the hobby just feel they need to have an anemone with a couple of clowns. Many LFS do them a disservice by selling them an anemone long before their tank can support one.

Also note the lighting. Your going to need some excellent lighting and many all in one tanks don't have nearly enough lighting and need upgrades for an anemone.

Until your tank is mature, and your sure about what your doing, leave anemones alone. Get some soft corals, polyps or other easy to keep livestock and learn with them.

Pat24601

I agree with the excellent post by @Uncle99. Generally it takes a new tank about a year before is is stable enough for an anemone. Don't try to rush things here.

If seems a lot of new people to the hobby just feel they need to have an anemone with a couple of clowns. Many LFS do them a disservice by selling them an anemone long before their tank can support one.

Also note the lighting. Your going to need some excellent lighting and many all in one tanks don't have nearly enough lighting and need upgrades for an anemone.

Until your tank is mature, and your sure about what your doing, leave anemones alone. Get some soft corals, polyps or other easy to keep livestock and learn with them.

I should have said good to know we have *another* expert on the forum. :)