brown & green algae in new tanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
re: brown & green algae in new tanks

Hey Steve

So out of interest what's best with respects to CUC. Just snails, just hermits or both. I appreciate this is properly very personal with respects to preference but interested to know who's having with what.

All snails here & a cleaner shrimp - Love snails for cuc - hermits eat snails they can be good members of the cuc too, but be ready to replace your snails frequently

I have Ceriths, Nassarius, Margarita Turbos, Astrea & Banded Trochus, Mexican Turbos

This would be a good new Poll :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

I had an Emerald when I started with my RSM 130D & he was well behaved - I enjoyed him and he never did eat my snails, but I have been told by others all crabs do even emeralds depending on the one you get

I don't think crabs are "evil" just just do as they were made... eat things

but this thread... will let you see lots of RS members think they "eat things" in our tanks we don't want them too http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/11718-crabs-evil-society.html

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm fairly certain all members of my cuc breed regularly. I have hermits, ceriths narcis turbos n a few I have zero idea what they are. I've never noticed hermits eating anything other than the green stuff.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

lol, cheers fella its never straight forward is it.

You can't go to wrong... if you want to try hermits... they are easy to catch & remove if they eat your snails... all my tanks have been 99.5% algae free - imho ... when hermits get hungry they are going to eat something
1183.gif

bennymarsh

Thanks for the suggestions on Clean up crew! I found a cheap online place and ordered heaps to help clean up my Algae problem.

ChrisY

I bought one from ReefCleaners for my 130D and couldnt be happier. And based on what I got vs how much LFS would have cost (and they didnt have the variety of snails) it was a steal.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

ReefCleaners is great & John's (owner) support of RS and all his customers is too !

neebs

Thanks I needed this almost freaked out when I saw my tank change from super clean to dirty over the last few days!

ChrisY

Algae is a normal progression in a 'new' tank. in the end it will generally work itself out with proper water changes, and a decent clean up crew and not using old lights past their prime.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Thank you very much neebs :dance: almost everyone goes through the algae phase & it's good to know... you can whip it & it is a tank maturing phase

nyfan78

I have alot of brown algae and some green algae on my rocks that waves in the current. I also have a emerald crab. Will he eat any of this?

ChrisY

The green sounds like hair algae. Test your water params, but yes, usually an emerald crab will eat hair. Check your phosphate levels etc. How old is the tank? The brown algae sounds like diatom if its covering the sand and for that get a good cleanup crew of snails that will eat it.

nyfan78

Tank is only a month old. I am about to get some snails this weekend. Will the emerald crab crawl over the rock? I never see him now.

ChrisY

yeah, I see mine all the time, but sometimes he hides. at 1 month old this is normal tank cycle progression. Don't sweat it to much. Dont add the clean up crew thogh till the ammonia levels come down or they will die off and exacerbate the problem.

nyfan78

I have tested ph, ammonia, and nitrites and everything has been in the good for a month now. Im thinking of adding my cuc this weekend.