brown & green algae in new tanks

1357HA

re: brown & green algae in new tanks

My tank is currently 9 months now. I can tell that for 8 months I was really disappointed and thought I was over feeding or doing something wrong. I'm now doing what I alway do since month 2 and the green algae is slowing down. I agree with everyone that you have to be patient, use some chemicals, but most of all, do weekly water changes. Also light is important, I have tried to use LED lights to simulate sun rise and sun set, but also used some 10000K ones to simulate post sun rise and pre sun set, in this way the main light are on like 5.5 to 5 hours a day. Corals seem to like it and algae hates it :)

1357HA

Also one thing that is very important is the salt mix you use, I changed mine (to a mix salt for reef ) and the outcome was impressive.

Sapphire

This is a good thread- glad to see it's in the list of useful threads sticky :)

Sapphire

I have to say I am glad both of you are mods now - makes sense to me :) True about Allen too!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Just a bump of encouragement for new tank owners - oh... and add some more snails :)

mtk

This was a great read for me (new to SW) and figured I would bump it for other's.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

You are very welcome !!!

and...

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Tsherwoo

I started my tank this February, as you said the first two months were glorious, since then I have had the brown algae since then, I have lacked in the waterchange department but am now doing weekly 10% waterchanges.

Does this sound like normal tank progression?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

the water changes should help a lot... new tank progression in my tank continued I would say... 6 months + are you using ro/di

Tsherwoo

I am currently using LFS pre mixed water. I also just added the upgraded filter and refugium with chaeto yesterday.

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

the water changes should help a lot... new tank progression in my tank continued I would say... 6 months + are you using ro/di

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

that should help too ! do you ran any gfo - like chemipureelite - if not, that would greatly help too

Tsherwoo

I was looking at it as my next step, will try to get it by next waterchange. I will keep this thread posted. Thanks!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Start a tank thread & post us some pics of your tank & you will get lots of feedback from lots of helpful RS members !

Me again.

So out of interest what's best with respects to CUC. Just snails, just hermits or both. I appreciate this is properly very personal with respects to preference but interested to know who's having with what.

I'm having problems with slight discolouration brown algue on my sand, red sponge like algue and green algue growth on some of my rocks. Tanks been running for 12 weeks and seems to have taken a bit of a set back.

I like the sound of emerald crabs and assume they are reef safe.

Cheers Steve.

PS Hope all had a great Christmas and are looking forward to an equally good New Year. Happy New Year to Everyone.