bluespot

sup im new to the bluespot club. just want to say why i joined. im kinda in a way obsessed with them, and i will defenately get one when i get the money and my tank is stable and i know it will live

michael_cb_125

Welcome, they are amazing fish, kust be prepared to stay up all night fo many week, to make sure your new one is ok. They will really freak you oput. Good Luck with your BS adventure.

lcstorc

Welcome to the Blue Spot lovers.
I too will get this fish again someday. They are spectacular.

caitrina

As much as I want one of these fish and doing so much reading about them, I do not really think they can be successfully kept for long (years)periods of time unless their environmental surroundings are replicated almost exactly. Am I wrong in this thinking?

I think they are a great fish, beautiful fish and so much character and yes I want one really badly, but what is the secret to keeping one alive in captivity for more than a year?

lcstorc

I think the jury is still out on that one Cat. We know some things that seem to work better than others but nothing really proven. Some people have great luck with them and others do not. I think the #1 cause of death is jumping out of the tank so we know we have to be careful there. Other than that I think getting a healthy fish is key. I had 2 and one was much healthier than the other. I think the one would still be around if he hadn't jumped into the overflow. I stressed him way to much trying to catch him to move him back to the tank and he died about 24 hrs later.
Some people say they do better in cooler tanks but several of our members keep them in higher temps with no problem. Truly a mystery as to why they sometimes make it and sometimes not.

i discovered them on saltwaterfish.com, and i thought oh, ill go get one at my LFS, how much can a jawfish be? and then i found out, and it made me want one because they are special fish, not just a common jawfish or something