Blue's 180 Mixed Reef

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I heard glass cages is making better tanks these days, worth checking out that price point. I also like miracles but this all comes with the Covid caveat!

Blue Space

I don't trust my tank building abilities. The most I've ever done is glue baffles in place... lol!

Simply put, I'm not that awesome, I guess. :) Glenn has definitely got some skillz!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I’m with you on building your own, not the area I’d try to save cash lol but eurobracing it in your situation would be the way to go if it’s going to be built in. Where are you planning for the overflow to be?

Blue Space

Looked at glasscages 180 gallon (72 x 24 x 24) rimless with a coast to coast, rear over flow. Only issue is that being a corner view tank, the overflow can't go all the way to the right side of the tank because there's a wall there. I'm pretty sure they could shorten it up on that side but have not talked to them yet.

Update: Second coat of mud applied.

1645336218257.png

1645336281124.png

Last edited:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Looks great! I don’t the you need a full length overflow. Heck I think you could look at a peninsula tank type setup but that depend on what kind of room you have. In wall tanks are nice if you can plan out the room needed.

Blue Space

I submitted a build request to GlassCages.com and after a thorough discussion with their team it looks like there will be some changes to the initial plan.

For starters, they highly suggested that I do not choose a rimless tank for an in-wall build, mainly due to the salt creep that develops and then goes over the rim and down the sides. So, it looks like the first modification will be to build a euro-braced tank instead of a rimless.

I still want to go with a rear, external overflow and they have recently developed some brand new manufacturing techniques to notch rear glass panel to accommodate the overflow which is only about 4 feet in length as opposed to the "Coast-to-Coast" style that is mentioned on their website. After talking it over with them I'm going with this newly-developed option.

The next part of the discussion revolved around the stand. They can build me a custom stand made of steel square tubing, powder-coated red with adjustable feet. It will also include a 4 inch lip that that will extend over the wall on the front and right side (as viewed from the fish-room looking out) so that the weight of the tank will not be on the walls. So far, working with these guys has been a breeze!

Last edited:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Outstanding!!! I would totally agree with the eurobrace. I’ve heard a lot of positivity around GC recently and it sounds like they are living up to it.

let the fun begin!

Blue Space

Glass cages is now working up a drawing for the tank and stand. From our phone conversation it looks like they're going to do a full mock-up rendering. Once that is done they will reach back out to me to confirm everything before the build begins.

I've already provided them a hand-drawn picture showing all measurements but i guess it was not up to snuff because it looked like a cocktail napkin. I'm quite certain many of the greatest plans ever devised were developed using the cocktail napkin? C'mon... It's a no-brainer! :D

Anywho, once the plan goes into the build stage it will still be another 5-7 weeks before delivery.

Meanwhile, the basement is now sheet rocked, mudded, and sanded. We're ready to start hanging doors and trim before we start to prime and paint. I'll update again soon!

Last edited:

Blue Space

Thanks! Doing the trim myself was really a piece of cake with this saw. Last time I did trim I used a hand saw and a mitre box. This Dewalt makes cutting fast, accurate angles a snap! Funnest part was hanging the French doors. That one door cost over 900 bucks in this era of inflation. As far as the tank goes, we're still a few weeks out yet from delivery. Looking forward to an update from them soon though.

Blue Space

yes sir! Ventilation fan running outside. :)

I also have a dehumidifier that I can run on a separate circuit. I'm running all the fish equipment on a dedicated 20 amp circuit and then I also have an additional 15 amp circuit.

1653162537688.jpeg

Last edited: