Black Spots on Clown Fish

EdgeKrusher

I've had the same two percs in my aquarium for over 4 years now without any problems. Last week I noticed the smaller of the two had a couple of black spots on it's left side. He wasn't acting any differently than normal, but I've kept my eye on him. Then on Saturday morning my wife told me that she saw more of these small black spots on him. I looked for myself and noticed that there were three more black spots on him, one on his tail, under his fin and below a pre-existing spot. The older spots haven't changed size, but when I looked at him again this morning I noticed another on just at the base of his dorsal find. The strange thing though is that they are only appearing on this one fish, and only on the left side. His behavior hasn't changed, he doesn't seem stressed, and is feeding like normal. I tried to take a picture but he's to fast to get a clean shot. I'll try to take another tonight, but in the mean time I'm wondering if anyone has seen or heard of this before. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

goldenmean

2 years ago when I got 2 Amphiprion ocellaris as juveniles they both eventually developed black spots on various locations on their bodies. I discovered that this is common especially in tank raised Ocellaris and the spots eventually faded away.

The other possibility is black ich which is usually associated with tangs and sturgeonfish but it can affect other species. I dont know any more about black ich but I found that much with a quick google search.

rlcline76

Anyway you could post a pic? Any signs of illness other than the discoloration.
Could really be the natural course of things and nothing to worry about.

InLimbo87

Have you noticed him hosting any 'unnatural' hosts (ie zoos, euphylia species', etc). I had an ocellaris that developed these spots after hosting a hammer for some time...

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
More than likely pigment changes due to the stings of corals as InLimbo has suggested. Many times they will develop these spots when hosting with Euphyllia corals and other stinging corals.

jski711

i agree with something stinging them. my clowns host my zoanthids and since they started hosting i have noticed black spots on them as well. i wouldnt worry too much.

EdgeKrusher

No other symptoms. I have a frogspawn and was told by the guy at the LFS I frequent that they are very similar to hammer but don't sting. I only have a small patch of Zoo's and I know they aren't hosting with them. I'll keep an eye on him, but I'll worry less as long as his behavior stays the same. Thanks for the input.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I have a frogspawn and was told by the guy at the LFS I frequent that they are very similar to hammer but don't sting

Your LFS guy is lost then and with no hope. Both corals are Euphyllia sp and both "sting". All corals sting, it is just to a more or lesser degree.