Biocube 14 Gallon chambers?

ColeDennis

I'm thinking about buying a biocube 14 gallon just for a small reef, a clownfish or two, and a cleaner team.

Anyways, I've heard alot about modding the back filter chambers on it. It seems like everyone says that you need to take out the bio balls and all that junk for chamber 2.
For my chamber one i'm thinking leaving it or taking out the fake floor for a heater which I may or may not need.
For chamber two I'm taking out everything and adding a media basket
For chamber three I don't even know what i'm gonna do.

What else do I need for a safe tank?
Any better methods, if so, please put a picture or video or thoroughly explain.

This isnt my first tank by the way but my last one was a few years ago so help.

Cheers!

ALW

I just installed a media basket this past weekend and already saw a drop in my nitrates. I put purigen in the center compartment and chemi-pure in the bottom one. I also installed a Nanobox LED retrofit kit last night and it looks great. I live in Southwest Florida and keep the house at 76-78 throughout the year so the water temp stays pretty constant too. I don't have a heater and probably wont bother. I love the biocube 14. Good luck with yours.

Danreef

In my 14 G Biocube I have not done any modification in the chambers. I have from right to left:

Chamber 1: Skimmer
Chamber 2 (Middle): Macro-algae (refugium) Light is in the back of the tank (glass is not painted in chamber 2)
Chamber 3: The return pump and ATO sensor.

Upside down picture: The tank has 1 year and 4 months.

Front picture:

Last edited:

ColeDennis

Thanks for the help!
Well I made the decision to not get a heater as I live in arkansas in moderate temperatures.
I might buy a protein skimmer but some people say it is a waste. Should I get one or not?
Here is what I am doing
Chamber 1: leaving it or buying a protein skimmer
Chamber 2: put in a media basket
Chamber 3: leaving it
Is this okay?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Danreef

Thanks for the help!
Well I made the decision to not get a heater as I live in arkansas in moderate temperatures.
I might buy a protein skimmer but some people say it is a waste. Should I get one or not?
Here is what I am doing
Chamber 1: leaving it or buying a protein skimmer
Chamber 2: put in a media basket
Chamber 3: leaving it
Is this okay?

I will say leave the tank as it is. I will rather focus in changing the light system. I have LEDs in my tank of the picture.

- The Skimmer is very cheap $50 and I will add it. With time you can decide if you stop using it. It will depends on your husbandry and tank bioload if you use it or not.
- Middle chamber you can put the media basket but also for $30 you can buy a TrueLumen strip (Blue/White) attach it to the glass with the factory double tape and add some Cheato. Now you have a biological way of reducing phosphates. Better than any chemistry.
-Return chamber: You can only add there the sensor for the ATO. I do not see what else you can do there.

But this is just my opinion. It is a nice designed tank. All the best with it !!

Daniel

ALW

I think that should work fine. I heard the skimmer was pretty much a waste on several sites and decided not to waste 30-40 dollars (more corals!!!)

pgrtgunner

I'm starting my first Nano/14gal. a little junked up. First question, what should I use in a media basket and where does it work best in
the 3 chambers?? :dunno:

And where can I find all of these acronyms?

tangerine3486

I had a 14 for almost two years. It was a pretty nice setup, I agree with a media basket. Cheato/chemipure/purigen is a pretty nice setup if you get an underwater light for the cheato. I never had the media basket, but always wanted one. I did have cheato and that was very nice.

I did make it a LED setup which was the best. Highly recommend that for any reefing.