Best Lighting for 72 gallon bowfront?

What does everyone recommend for a 72 gallon bowfront. I dont want to spend too much money... i already payed $1200 for a Hamilton MH... I just want something that will grow coral mostly softies... and i would like to add a BTA at some point.... I just wanna know what i could get for the most bang for the buck...

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
What's wrong with the hamiltons or is that for another tank?

T5ho is probablly you best bet for softies and lps but if you want a BTA you will need halides.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
If you were just doing softies I might say get a good T5 fixture; but the BTA would do better under MH. Might checkout Catalina lights. Good bang for the buck.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Yeah that is being used on my 220. Whats out there for metal halides besides the hamilton?

You might still go hamilton if you can hang pendants. Cayman Sun with a Radium 20k bulb and a Galaxy ballast would not be too expensive. Two pendants would light your tank

Softies wiill do fine too once adjusted. Softies will do well under low lighting, but also do well under strong lights. I have 250w radiums on my 90, and I put some mushrooms in a low light district (shaded away from the bulbs). they keep popping out babies that end up in the sand in the middle of the tank and are doing just fine though you should think they should melt getting the full strength light from two bulbs.

1Reefer

IMO you could get good light out of a 6xT5 fixture as long as it has idv reflectors and quality bulbs..... I've never kept a nem however and would recomend the advise of those above that have.

So if your set on the nem you should probably to halide..... if you want the ease of a T5 fixture and feel you don't have to have a nem, then go that route.

Hope my random rambling helped somehow

This is why i love this site! Its great to hear people ramble... and i am being completely honest! Everyone makes sense here, rambling or not! The only problem I have is that I cant hang a light from the ceiling because we are in an Appartment :( So i need something that i can sit on the top of the tank.

1Reefer

I have this same tank..... 72 bow. I am also looking to get new lights and really leaning towards catalina aquariums for my new light. Still reaserching but it looks like a great product for the price... and is also highly recomended by others here on RS.

I was at my LFS today and the lady there said to get T5 lighting, she said that it is the same intensity as the MH (however i dont believe that) she said that she has grown everything under the T5's. What do y'all think?