beginner looking for advice

Joshua

Hey, Ive had a freshwater tank for a while and want to step upto marine, the red sea aquariums look the way forward and I just have a few questions;

1) Cant decide between the 130d or the 250, I understand the 250 is bigger but is it worth the increased price?

2) The t5 lights which come with the aquarium, what coral types are they powerful enough to look after? Some people have posted about getting LEDs?

3) Does the aquarium come with sufficient equipment (i.e the protein skimmer, heater etc) or do you guys find you had to upgrade a lot?

Thanks for your help...

BLADEYAMAHA

agcwelcome29.gif

catran

Bigger is always better. I have both a RSM 130d and a RSM 250. The 250 is best for a couple of reasons.
A larger volume of water is easier to maintain.
The T5 combo in the 130 isn't as good as the regular T5's in the 250.
I was able to sustain some SPS in the 130, but all SPS seem to grow and flourish in the 250.
I changed out the skimmer in my 130 and added a media basket. A lot of people still use the stock skimmer in both models. I added a media basket to the 250 also. You will need to buy a heater for sure, the ones that come with them will die quickly. No biggie there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Bigger is always better. I have both a RSM 130d and a RSM 250. The 250 is best for a couple of reasons.
A larger volume of water is easier to maintain.
The T5 combo in the 130 isn't as good as the regular T5's in the 250.
I was able to sustain some SPS in the 130, but all SPS seem to grow and flourish in the 250.
I changed out the skimmer in my 130 and added a media basket. A lot of people still use the stock skimmer in both models. I added a media basket to the 250 also. You will need to buy a heater for sure, the ones that come with them will die quickly. No biggie there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gotta agree with cat again. Bigger is better.

.............I'm feeling salty.

Putt

You are having the same thoughts that I had a few months ago. I decided on the 250. After a few months I know my decision was a good one. The 250 gets to be too small pretty quickly.

Putt

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I started with a RSM 130D, my 1st swt, I wanted to see if I could have success, which I did and then like many I upgraded to a RSM 250 and love it !
1085.gif

Both are nice tanks, the RSM 250 lights are better (6 t5's) and it's has a better skimmer, plus more space :dance:

wscttwolfe

Hi Joshua,

I was going through the same decision a few months ago. Dollar for dollar the 250 is probably a better investment as the size and more powerful lighting will give you more versatility. The ultimate issue, for me at least, came down to space. I just didnt have room for the 250 :(

-Will

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Welcome to RS. I would seriously go for as large as you can afford but remember bigger tanks require bigger maintenance costs.