Be an informed aquarist.

DaveK

The problem I have when I read an article like this is I can never easily determine which side is correct. Eary side seems to have their own private agenda, and this make it very difficult to judge credibility.

Personally, I would ban the importation of wild corals, fish and so on that are endangered. However, there should be no restriction on captive bread corals and fish.

Oxylebius

I'm not sure if it is a matter of which side is right. But, it always seems like everyone has their own agenda.

There are some facts that were mentioned re: the limitations of the ESA and what options NMFS has with implementing it. Those limitations of options is what may end up not allowing us to keep/trade any corals that end up being designated threatened/endangered.

Even though NMFS is looking for specific info on data, since this was published on the Federal Register that means that anyone can submit comments on it about anything (useful or not). NMFS will have to read/document and analyze all comments submitted (even if the comment doesn't provide the data they are asking for). But, keep in mind if your comment doesn't address their questions, then it won't be considered either.....

This is my understanding of these events...