Basic Photography Class

tektite

Good screen shots showing how to edit photos.

One suggestion - also cover how to edit them in GIMP since its a free program that's pretty equivalent to photoshop. Photoshop is awesome but also very expensive.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
tektite - thanks for mentioning GIMP - it looks very good for a free program. I'm going to add it to my "arsenal" of photo editing software and play around with it!

fiveldsp

Any suggestions on night photography using just the tanks blue LED (moonlights)?

The pictures I have managed to take a night are visible, but the colors I see in the picture aren't a good representation of the colors I can see by looking into the tank. I'm using a Canon EOS Rebel XS

BLAKEJOHN

Shut off pumps, use a tripod, lower the ISO, long shutter speed, larger apature, enable noise reduction and enable mirorr lock up. The colors you see at night are hard for the camera to capture becuase the blue LEDs make the colores really fluores.

BLAKEJOHN

Figuered I would give this a bump for any newcomers.

For those of you that may be getting cameras from santa, this may be a helpfull thread to remember, Amongst other stickys in the Photography forum.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
!
1055.gif

DEO glass

great thread!! very insightful!!! i feel like im in photo class all over again......
gotta love cs3.... i currently run cs5.1 ext ( i got to school for graphic design) back when things were simple, and didnt have all the bells and whistles..

my suggestion, or rather question, is that i didnt seem to see you touch on the use of levels and curves in photoshop... i feel this is a great way to get the right colors and establish dark blacks and bright whites....
now my REAL question for you is this... ( as stated earlier in thread) How do i take macro pictures under LED lighting.. with a cannon sd870is?

A couple of tips for those with a DSLR.
Most modern SLRs have the ability to change the focus point when shooting. The old habit of using center focus and re-composing will usually end up in a blurred or distorted shot when shooting through tank glass due to the refraction. Try to shoot head on to your subject and use the focus point adjustment to compose your shot.

If your camera has spot metering and focus adjust it to use spot focus but use the averaging setting for metering. Unless you understand the zone system using spot metering will usually result in part of your image being too light or too dark.

Doogle

A couple of tips for those with a DSLR.
Most modern SLRs have the ability to change the focus point when shooting. The old habit of using center focus and re-composing will usually end up in a blurred or distorted shot when shooting through tank glass due to the refraction. Try to shoot head on to your subject and use the focus point adjustment to compose your shot.

If your camera has spot metering and focus adjust it to use spot focus but use the averaging setting for metering. Unless you understand the zone system using spot metering will usually result in part of your image being too light or too dark.

I was just looking at that on my T3i. Its my first DSLR and have no background in photography but I think I have a decent eye and enough motivation to take some nice pics if I learn how to use them.
Thanks for the class BLAKEJOHN!