Back to the same old question...

EdgeKrusher

Now I moved just over a month ago, and so did my tank, but the sand stayed at the old place. So my little 15 gallon nano is bare bottom. Recently I've noticed Cyano, but it's in a wired place, it's on my pumps and that's it. Why would this be. The last time I had this problem the cyano was everywhere. Is the plastic leeching that much phosephates or what? I haven't feed the tank for three days, and I'm dosing with Kalk but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any suggestions. Could it be that my lights are going bad? Would that even be a factor. Sorry for the questions that have been asked a million bijillion times.

Peace (hahahaha)

EK

mps9506

I doubt it's your lights. It honestly has to be nutrients somewhere. I personally would just carefully remove all your pumps and clean em off really well in some vinegar and see how long they stay clean.
If it comes back then you need to look into changing your ro/di filters, doing more frequent water changes, feeding less, etc.
Are you totally positive it is cyano? It's not red coralline or maybe a red macro algae?
Mike

fidojoe

Fish Addict
ChemiClean:) it does work very well, I think that cyano just likes to grow in low flow areas, and what better place than on the pumps where flow is only in 3 places, small intake area, internal chamber, and output, kinda ironic, I know, but it does that in my tank also.

mattie

RS Sponsor
chemi clean does work like it say's but that doen't mean you fixed the problem..
i doubt its your light. first thing i would do is check the water source as mps stated.
but it could just be a mini cycle that the tank is going thru becouse of the move.
clean it off with care wait a week or 2 and see whats up with your r.o and test your tank water for phosphates.

EdgeKrusher

No chemicals for me. I know they work, but I also don't like the thought of them hidding the problem. I'm 100% sure it's Cyano, I've had it before. I cleaned all the pumps in Vinegar during the move. I spoke with Curt today and he suggested that it's probably because the Cyano is appearing in low flow areas, so I blasted the stuff off with the good ol' turkey baster. I'm sure it'll be back but we'll see how long it takes. I also get my water from my LFS and they change their filters every other month. I've had them test the water before I added it to my tank, and it's good. I only feed everyother day. and do a weekly water change. We'll see what happens. Thanks guys.

mps9506

EK, if you can get your hands on a TDS meter I would recomend checking the TDS of the water you are getting.
As a manager of a store, I know I try to strech every bit of life out of my filters, when you make as much water as most shops do, you really have to :)
FWIW, I have not even had a hint of cyano ever since I went barebottom. Just something I wanted to state :D, Something I've been very proud of...