Auto top off set ups

Frankie

RS STAFF
I need to design a top off system for my aquarium and thought it would be great to see what everyone else is doing.
So let's see your top off deigns!

DaveK

I purchased my ATO from http://www.autotopoff.com/ I found that for the price, I couldn't build anythign any better.

What your looking for is dual float switches. One is mounter a bit higher that the other. This is so that if one fails the other will act as a backup, and prevent a flood.

You also want to use low voltage with the float switches. This prevents arching. It's best not to run house current through the float switches. This way the switched will not arc.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I did the same as Dave and Mike, it's been working for 5 years now with never a problem, can't beat the price.

Choff

If you are not into DIY, I think the tunze osmolator is the premium set up. It's pricey, but awesome.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Great stuff everyone!
Personally I know what I am going to do.
I am wanting to see pictures of people's current setups.

reefer gladness

I'm using a BRS peristaltic pump to dose kalk solution through a Precision Marine reactor. Both controlled by a Reef Angel controller and a 7-gallon water tote for storage.

I've got my tanks evaporation rate calculated out to the point where I no longer really need an ATO float. RO/DI is dosed every hour through the kalk reactor. I still have a JBJ ATO connected as a back-up but water level stays constant enough that it never drops below the float sensor.

clearwater

Purchased the Hydor Smart Level ATO for my RSM C250. Problem is the sensors for the fill min and max levels are about 1/2" to 3/4" apart. In a 24 hour period the evaporation rate is about 1 gallon. The distance between the sensors means the unit doesn't begin the refill cycle until about 2 1/2 gallons have evaporated. This is too much water loss. The reduced water level in the tank goes below the minimum level in the water level window. Can anybody recommend a ATO for the RSM C250 or a unit that can be adjusted between the minimum and maximum levels?

reefer gladness

Purchased the Hydor Smart Level ATO for my RSM C250. Problem is the sensors for the fill min and max levels are about 1/2" to 3/4" apart. In a 24 hour period the evaporation rate is about 1 gallon. The distance between the sensors means the unit doesn't begin the refill cycle until about 2 1/2 gallons have evaporated. This is too much water loss. The reduced water level in the tank goes below the minimum level in the water level window. Can anybody recommend a ATO for the RSM C250 or a unit that can be adjusted between the minimum and maximum levels?

Any ATO that uses 2 sensors for hi/lo water marks, that way you can adjust the height yourself. Tunze and JBJ are the most popular and I'd also mention just about every aquarium controller on the market comes with 2 float sensors for ATO use.

Make sure you have the sensor located in the sump chamber that is affected by water evaporation first though.

StirCrayzy

I have a 5g jug sitting over my sump. It's plumbed to the RODI in the basement, and gravity fed to a float valve in the return of my sump (lower line in pic).
I have to manually refill the jug every 10 days by turning the valves and water supply on at the basement.
Not the most hands off approach, but at worst if the float valve fails, I only lose 5g into the system (sump has 6g free space). Most often I forget to turn off to RODI and it overfills the jug, and spills into the sump.which is why there is also a water alarm to sound when the sump is 2g from overflow.

I call this the Sasquatch method. ;)
Since his bucket idea led me to this , even though his has an extra failsafe overflow catch bucket.

StirCrayzy

I was too paranoid about sensor/pump based failures to use any kits on the market, despite many raving reviews.

sirrealism

I use the Tunze on one tank and I love it. But I seem to forget to unplug it when I do a water change and since its so quite I dont even notice it till I hear the pump running dry. The other 4 tanks I use a bucket every 3 days and it works just fine

reefer gladness

I use the Tunze on one tank and I love it. But I seem to forget to unplug it when I do a water change and since its so quite I dont even notice it till I hear the pump running dry. The other 4 tanks I use a bucket every 3 days and it works just fine

That's one of the beauties of using an aquarium controller. When I switch to water change mode the ATO (among other things) is automatically switched off and put on a delay so it doesn't switch back on until the water level in the sump has time to stabilize.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's one of the beauties of using an aquarium controller. When I switch to water change mode the ATO (among other things) is automatically switched off and put on a delay so it doesn't switch back on until the water level in the sump has time to stabilize.

Bingo. Same situation here too.

tat2z21

I love the old mechanical method. I use a 40 gallon breeder that feeds my sump with a float valve. Love it. Has worked for many, many years with out any issues. Water stays pretty much at a constant level. Just make sure to keep the float away from monster sized turbo snails.