Auto top off Help.

luvreefin

I have a 20g Brute trash can that I'll be using for my ATO system. I would like to drill a hole at the bottom to run the tubing from my pump. Which will be placed at the bottom of the trash can, through the hole and lead to my sump. What I'm asking is what type of plumbing piece can I put in the drilled hole to connect the hose from the pump, through the hole, then from the hole to the sump? Thanks. I hope I explained it clearly. Confused myself a little.

david42

Try going to Lowes or Home Depot. Look at the vinyl hose. In the same aisle they will have vinyl fittings.
I would think one with a "Barbed fitting" would work best to for you. You can get these in 90 degree angles, t fittings, and even y shapes.

luvreefin

Try going to Lowes or Home Depot. Look at the vinyl hose. In the same aisle they will have vinyl fittings.
I would think one with a "Barbed fitting" would work best to for you. You can get these in 90 degree angles, t fittings, and even y shapes.
Would those fittings fit the hose itself? I'm looking for a fitting to fit into the hole I drill in the bottom of the can and then attach hose to that. Is that the same thing you're talking about?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I'm sure you thought of this but just be careful on the design. Twenty gallons doesn't seem like much until you you have to clean it up off of the floor.

david42

Yes, the barbed vinyl fitting goes Inside the hose. Same aisle as the vinyl hose. They should have sizes to fit whatever hose you need. I always open one up and check they fit first.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I agree with Mark above, this can be a very dangerous setup and you'll need to be super careful of your design or your going to end up with a flood.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think the best way is to use a uniseal on the Brute can, one of these:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/uniseal-5.html

Pic a smaller sized one.
Then you'll have to get a piece of PVC that is the size of the uniseal. Then have a barbed fitting connecting the PVC to the vinyl hose.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, this design seems like it is going to push a lot of water whenever the pump turns on and be very risky/

Why not just go with an Tom's Aqualifter sitting on top of the Brute can and have a piece of 1/4" tubing going down into the trash can. Then have another piece of 1/4" tubing going to the sump with the Aqualifter controlled by what ever ATO controller you are using?

mtk

If it was me I would drill my hole above the water line in the brute. It is very easy to break fittings that small and as it was said above 20 gal is a lot of water to clean off the floor.

reeferman

if your gonna use a container that large,research how to prevent a forward siphon[several ways]because with a container that large,im sure it will come in to play.
a uniseal is what you need on the brute and youre most likely gonna have to get it online[not at lowes or hd].use the link posted above for brs

DaveK

I agree with the others. Drilling a hole in the bottom of the container is a sure fire way to create a flood. There are just too many ways to go wrong.

I have found that the best way to plumb an ato is to use the pump to pump the ATO water up and let it go into the overflow on the tank, so it gets mixed with the sw quickly, and enters the sump. That way you need not worry about any siphon action between the tank and ATO container. It's about as fail safe as you can make the plumbing.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Like goma (Greg) mentioned, an Aqua Lifter pump IMO is the way to go. In fact it's what I use. I even have that go to a RODI float valve that I added to my sump as a fail safe.

This way you can us a 1/4" tubing that enters above the water line in the Brute that goes to the bottom and never have to worry about a spill.

Mine goes on 4 times a day attached to a basic timer that only stays on for bout 5 minutes. If the float in the sump ever gets stuck, the timer will turn off soon enough to prevent a flood. If the timer sticks on, the float in the sump will stop the flow also preventing a flood.

mikecc

I think in so many words your design ideas are flawed Vis-à-vis drilling a hole in the bottom of your reservoir being a bad idea because of several risk factors, including leakage and i dunno, the potential for gravity fed accidents.