Auto Top off Container???

Snelly40

the ATO adds small enough amounts where i do not have it heated, it doesnt even change my overall temp by a tenth of a degree in my 90 gallon. I'd say in total my container holds 5 gallons and it takes about 4 days before i add more to it, but keeps me from getting those annoyng bubbles if it gets to low, and i add my calcium additive into the top off water so that gets added slowly and effectively as well!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well with my tanks I am dealing with only a few ounces a day and I keep the top off water in close proximity to both of my tanks. Room temp which is usually 70 or so. I haven't noticed any change in temp from just a daily top-off but I was curious as to how everyone else was handling that. You know what they say about "Curiosity" and that dang cat :lol:

thanks for the input!!

Snelly40

for anyone who is thinking about an ATO, i highly recomend it, for a cheaper mod, it is very effective, great for adding calcium suppliments and it is a great relief for any of us who have come home and had some evaporation and their are air bubbles everywhere !!!!

Snelly40

thanks Woody :)

i actually do not use kalk, i use seachem premium calcium and seachem alkalinity.
tehy are both dry, i use similarly to a two doser and add them at different times, but i like the effect from both and the keep a very constant ph, calcium, alk and other minerals :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok I have to admit I have jumped in way over My headp in this conversation.

How do I know when to dose? What to dose? I don't dose anything! I just add fresh RO H2O to keep a constant water level. Am I just missing the boat or is that in the "advanced" area of Reefing?

Allen :)

Snelly40

ur ok, it took me some reading too, all top off water shuold be fresh (RO/DI) b/c the salt in ur system does not evaporate with the water, and if u add saltwater back in on a regular basis then u get the Dead Sea on your hands and salinity skyrockets

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah I totally understand that aspect of it. But I am wondering about dosing for this and that (Which are things I am not even CHECKING for).

Per the LFS when I started with my FrogSpawn and BrainCoral they suggested I test my calcium and dose as needed. As of yet have NOT needed any since my readings stay constantly in the 420 - 460 range thus far.

I just don't want to dose just to be dosing but I also don't want my tank(s) to suffer due to my ignorance. I guess I mean if it's not broke no need to fix it.

Allen :)

Snelly40

if those are ur levels u are perfect.
as u add more and more, water changes will of course correct the levels, but then it can deplete a little faster than the next schedule water change. So to keep the levels constant, i add the calcium to the top off and it adds it back in slowly, similar to how its being used up, i like this better than one large dose mid-week

kimoy

i dose a 2 part seachem(dry) every week even my calcium and alk levels are to check. IMO you need to dose this on a regular basis to replenish any lost minerals from your tank due to your livestock. i think when they say "as needed" means to dose more than normal if your levesls are below normal.

logangm86

just thought i would throw my two cents in on the container issue since i went through this a bit. on the bottom there is a recycle sort of sign, and in the middle there is a rating 1-7 1 being the best. i have been told use nothing but 2 and above for something in a reef tank because the others can leach very nast chemicals into out systems.:bouncebox

kerry

I'm on the same wave length, thinking of getting a 300 gallon and would need a custom sump built for it. Looks like yours turned out great!

I found that my local hunting fishing hiking camping store has lots of water storage containers. I have a 5, 7, 17, and 33 gallon tainer from them and they are great and come in a really pretty blue color that blocks the light from getting into the tainer and greening up my water and the price is oh so nice....... if you have any questions just ask and i can help as best as i can....