Are Top Fin tanks drill safe?

Gobynoob42

Took my new TopFin 37gal tank to my local reef store for drilling. (Pic included, yes, it's a starter set)
The owner wasn't sure if the tank was ok to drill (I think he was more concerned that I was 100% sure).
I didn't see any warnings about tempered glass on the tank/box/literature. Though I have heard the bottom glass is tempered.
Tried calling the customer service number, but it takes me to Petsmart!

Attachments

• 20180210_145846.jpg
    20180210_145846.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

Pat24601

I know I said to ask questions, but just so you know this is a really hard one. :). I doubt any of us know for sure, but we will see.

I know that in general the response to questions regarding “can this tank be drilled” the typical answer from the folks that drill tanks (of which I’m not one) is, “The only way I’d know is to drill it and see if it shatters”, which is probably not a helpful answer.

I’m just saying this so you know if you don’t get a good answer, it’s not that we are ignoring you. We probably just don’t know.

DaveK

To check if a tank is made of tempered glass, you use a light source and two polarizing filters. You set up the light source, the first polarizing filter, the glass your testing and the second polarizing filter. You may need to rotate the 2nd filter. In a piece of tempered glass, you will see a cross hatching pattern. In normal glass you will not see a pattern.

You can get polarizing film sheets here - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X3XFHU/?tag=reefsanc-20

Just to keep your life interesting, manufacturers sometimes change the type of glass being used in a given size tank, so ideally you should test your tank.

On the Topfin 37 gal tank itself. This is not a very good tank for a SW ystem. This is because it's only 13 inches wide and it's 22 inches high. This makes it extremely difficult to aquascape. Keep in mind that typically you'll use about 1 pound of rock per gal of water, and with a narrow tank, it's difficult to construct decent rock structures. If your not past the point of no return here, I'd recommend that you return the tank. and get something like a 40 gal breeder. It is wide, 18 inches front to back, and not as high 17 inches, but it's got only little more water. It's usually a much better choice for a SW system.

Gobynoob42

Update: topfin tanks are drillable. My LFS owner followed the above method for checking.
However, the bottom glass is tempered. Thanks for all the input!
Now, I need a skimmer, reactor, and lights and I'll be on my way[emoji41]
341fad2a46a654146bf787642961a215.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk