Aquarium's From Around the World

Frankie

RS STAFF
This time I bring you Vic (mrvicz)from the Philippines!

P1040158.jpg

Check out the Youtube video also :thumbup:
YouTube - ‪My 4-month old 100 gal Aquarium - Full Zeovit Method [Part 1]‬‏

Frankie

RS STAFF
Vic started this tank on Dec 17, 2009 with a drawing using google sketch:
full.jpg

P1020861.jpg

P1040161.jpg

P1040162.jpg

P1040180.jpg

He's got this thing on life support:
innard.jpg

I asked Vic to give us a description of his aquarium:

"Tank Dimensions : 38x22x20 LWH

Sump : 25x20x15 LWH

I have started my system around August of 2010 and started stocking it a month later. Net volume is around 90 gals.

System Parameters :
Alk: 6.8-7.2
Ca: 420
MG: 1320
PO4: 0.02 (accdg to hanna meter)
Nitrates: 0
Potassium: 400 (last i checked, about 2-3mos ago)

Hardwares :
Skimmer: Reef Octopus XP2000int
Return Pump : Eheim 1264
Chiller : Teco TR20
Wavemakers : 2x Vortech MP40w ES & Hydor Koralia 1 in the sump.
Dosers : Profilux Doser & Bubble Magus Doser

Lighting:
Lighting is done with 2x Eco-Lamps KR92-18s which runs the whole length of my tank. I have supplemented it with 4x T5s which are currently 3x Korallen Zucht Coralight Super Blue and 1x Fiji Purple.

Additives:
2-Part for Ca and Alk are dosed everyday by the Bubble Magus doser @ 28ml and 20ml respectively.

Pohls Extra Special, K-Balace & Zeovit Start2 are dosed by my Profilux doser (which I find to be more accurate than the BM) are dosed at 3ml(MWF), 3ml(MWF), 2ml (2x/day) respectively. I have dilluted the Zeovit Start2 into a 9:1 ratio with pharmacy grade sterile water for me to be able to dose at 1ml increments.

I also dose Zeovit Amino Acid, Coral Vitalizer, Sponge Power. All at 3drops/day at night time when the lights are off.

For the Carbon, I use Zeovit Carbon passively.

Livestocks:
All of my corals are wild caught which I personally gathered. Some of them have lost their original luster but are slowly coming back. I have found that a month after collection, their colors fade and slowly return from then on. Its a very very slow process lol! Also I dont know their names but maybe you could identify some of them.

As for the fish, I only have two chromis and two pajama cardinals in there atm. I plan on adding more but havent actually had the time to lately. I used to have a hawaiian yellow(suddenly died), blue tang(jumped out), a masudai hogfish(jumped) and a sunburst anthias(jumped). The jumpers which I discovered later turned out to be being bullied by the masudai which itself jumped out too lol!

Acropora crabs, I have gazillions of them. I think I have 1-3 for every coral that I have. They came with the corals when I collected them."

You can view more pictures here:
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Vic's 100gal Starphire Build
And follow the thread I do here:
Vic's Rimless Attempt @ Zeovit - zeovit.com

Thanks Vic for allowing me to share your wonderful success in a very short time! Keep up the great work!

Frank

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Wow......I'm going to have to hire you Frankie to post mine up here when I get a nice one!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Wow......I'm going to have to hire you Frankie to post mine up here when I get a nice one!

Nope, you have to be from around the world, not across the street :D
JK, Look forward to doing your tank Bryan!

soco

Wow very nice! It is really cool to see other countries reefs in action!

Rhodes19

All I can say is WOW!! That is absolutly amazing. I love the aquascape and those colors are increadable. How can I get my tank to look that good? I can't wait to see more of it. :)

jpsika08

Amazing tank!
It's truly a labor of love to achieve that, wish my tank can be as beautiful someday :D

Thanks for sharing Frankie

Rhodes19

Ok, I think I'm addicted to his build. I've been back to this thread several times just to look at how clean his water is and how clean his rockscape design is. Does that qualify as a bonsai rockscape? I like it. I'll have to play with my rockscape and see what I can do.

Hi, my name is Chris and I'm a reefoholic....

mrvicz

hello guys,

first of all, a big thank you to Frankie for featuring my tank... and to you guys, thanks for the compliments, they make my heart melt :)

Pimpala, as for your question, ill answer as much as i can to the best of my knowledge... i dont know the size of the substrate but i just collected them from a beach nearby my house (i live 5 minutes drive from the beach). i strained them twice, first to get the large crushed coral parts and then another finer screen to weed out the dusty and very small sands. so whats left is what i can tell medium sized sand prolly in the size of 2-4.

i have added several corals since Frankie posted an article about my tank. it looks kind of crowded now lol. as for my corals, i collect them myself from the ocean depths :) as much as possible i take really small colonies -- as big as my clenched fist. but if i see a really really nice one and its big, i get a frag of it.

ill try to post an updated full tank shot soon, but here's some of the new pieces that i got :

P1040335.jpg

P1040333.jpg

P1040332.jpg

P1040326.jpg

thanks again and i hope you enjoyed!

best regards,
vic

jpsika08

Vic, Welcome to RS! :D
We are glad you're here with us and hope we can pick your best practices as your an example of how a reef is kept.

Amazing pictures!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Welcome to RS Vic :)

How is the reef your picking live stock from? I am curious on it's condition. Are you seeing any signs of degrading from pollution and/or global warming?

The corals your bringing home sure look as if that reef must be healthy! :thumbup:

I do a lot of reading on global impact on the reefs around the world so am interested in getting some first hand accounts.

Frank

mrvicz

Vic, Welcome to RS! :D
We are glad you're here with us and hope we can pick your best practices as your an example of how a reef is kept.

Amazing pictures!

Thanks for the compliment :) Im looking forward to sharing my husbandry with you guys as well. Just fire away questions and I'll be glad to be of help :)

Welcome to RS Vic :)

How is the reef your picking live stock from? I am curious on it's condition. Are you seeing any signs of degrading from pollution and/or global warming?

The corals your bringing home sure look as if that reef must be healthy! :thumbup:

I do a lot of reading on global impact on the reefs around the world so am interested in getting some first hand accounts.

Frank

The reef is fortunately healthy. We have some dynamite fishermen over here but they usually do their deed far out the sea. The reef Im picking my corals from is a shy 30 minutes by boat from a navy base so those b*stard dynamite fishers wouldnt want to risk getting caught and their outriggers getting sunk :D

Im getting my SPS on the "table" of the huge rock formation (3-10meters) and the LPS are usually at the sides and along the walls of the rocks. The floor (15-20 meters) has a lot of plate corals, gonioporas and lots and lots of softies of all kinds. Its teeming with life if I must say, lots of schools of fishes usually yellow fins and marlins.

There's also a small reef about 10-15 meters from the shore where I put some of my corals which ive grown tired of lol ... Ive returned several frags and colonies in there through the years and Im happy to say that they're thriving to this day :) This is the nearby reef that Im referring to.

16450_105863816091188_100000027118723_158661_5702652_n.jpg

Needless to say, I think Im a fish in my past life :bouncer::bouncer::bouncer: