Aquaman's 29BC Adventure

aquaman3680

Well I have decided to take down the freshwater Bio-Cube and set it up as a saltwater tank. This tank will be predominantly Acans and Zoas/Palys. I may end up doing the 3.36 nanocustoms mod. I am getting the Sapphire Aquatics BC29 Skimmer sent to me this week!

Anyways here are some pics as it sits today. I should not have any cycle as I used established rock and used live sand.

Let me know what you think!

Before sand-
D30_2833.jpg

After sand-
D30_2954.jpg

I took my first test and here is what it showed-

Amm.- 0.5
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
pH- 8.3

What do you all think would be a good fish list?

Matt

aquaman3680

I'm stupid about mods, what is 3.24 nanocustoms mod?

Sorry, I meant to put the 3.36 mod. It is a mod that nanocustoms sells that gives you an extra PC. I would have 3x36 watt PC's instead of 2x36 watts. Just more light. It will all depend on how the acans do in the tank.

aquaman3680

The extra lighting couldn't hurt. Do they have a HQI mod for the 29s?

Yeah they do, but it is like $550 and then you have to go and do the complicated install on it! I think some of my lower light zoas/palys will end up in this tank so I kinda want to keep it with the 2 PC's if I can.

aquaman3680

Scott- Yet another salt tank right?

I am not overly handy with rewiring stuff, but I can make things work. The only problem with running one of those is the fact that I would still need to get a new heat shield for the BC, and a new plastic cover that would not melt under the halide. I would also still need to get new fans to improve ventilation in the hood. Sounds like it would be a fun project though :)

I have that mod on my biocube (the nanotuners pc one) and everything is growing great this side of hard corals...my birdnest and acros don't seem to be thrilled but the Acans and duncans and everything else is doing a-ok

morbius18

I had some kinda 29 gallon cube (might have been a viaaqua) about 6 years ago, and I did a DIY mod of a 96 watt quad fixture into it. I think it cost about $100.

aquaman3680

I think I am going to try and see if the stock lights will do what I want them to, if not then I will probably do the halide upgrade!

Well, I didnt think I should have had a cycle as I used established LR, livesand and used 10g of water from my 3 year established tank, so I tested the Amm. Nitrate, and Nitrite with a Salifert test kit and they all showed zero. Then I retested with the API one and it still showed I had ammonia over .5.

So I will probably end up picking up a couple clowns today!

Pics to come!

Matt

aquaman3680

Everything is looking good in the tank! Skimmer is scheduled to come in this week! I have put in a couple of the zoa frags that are going to be in there already. I added 2 true percs and 2 peppermint shrimp to help control some aptasia that came in on the rocks. Oh and also some snails!

Ill update w/ pics later!

Matt