Aqua Illuminations Vega

chipmunkofdoom2

I just wonder what could be so special with these ones.......its either the lights put out better PAR, cover a larger area, more energy efficient or ??????? Short of new functionality (which i don't think is anticipated) i only see it doing what it does today "better".

Other thoughts?

Efficiency would be my main bet. I do have to say though that these LEDs are in a single line of 4 banks, instead of double-file of 4 banks (a total of 8 LED groups). My guess is that this redesign was necessary with less LEDs, but I bet it also improves coverage and spread.

I hope they arrive in a timely fashion, Cat. When the Sol's came out, there were lots of supply issues and people waited a while for their orders unfortunately. Definitely let us know your thoughts! :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Glenn that was made back a year ago and it listed as

Uploaded by jlnielsen13 on Apr 25, 2011
Aqua Illumination SOL Super Blue LED Color Demo Video

The VEGA should be even more spectacular! I can't wait to start seeing vids of them in action especially if the vid is from Cat's tank :)

steved13

PREMIUM
The color for the Vega will be the same as that video. The Vega will use a different white, same coloring but will use less emitters to get there, and the vega uses the optics and layout like the AI nano.

yankieman

I just cant wrap my head around the fact that less lights is better ,,,,hmmmm can anyone explain that to me in led laymans terms

steved13

PREMIUM
I just cant wrap my head around the fact that less lights is better ,,,,hmmmm can anyone explain that to me in led laymans terms

From what I uderstand, They're using XML for the whites which are more intense, so they get the same par from fewer emitters. The newer nano optics are all the same, where the Sols split between 4 70 degree and 4 40degree, the vegas should be a more even light pattern.

From what I have been told by AI, the difference between the Vegas and the Sol isn't huge, but the Vegas have some advantages. IMO the new wireless controller they are releasing with the Vegas will be really cool.

catran

Yep, I just remembered that I already pre-ordered the light after MACNA from ReefGeek. I emailed Greg and he confirmed that I pre-ordered the "Phoenix" on September 14, 2011, so I'll be getting mine as soon as the first shipment arrives!
He said between 30-90 days, which is similar to what I heard elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yankieman

From what I uderstand, They're using XML for the whites which are more intense, so they get the same par from fewer emitters. The newer nano optics are all the same, where the Sols split between 4 70 degree and 4 40degree, the vegas should be a more even light pattern.

From what I have been told by AI, the difference between the Vegas and the Sol isn't huge, but the Vegas have some advantages. IMO the new wireless controller they are releasing with the Vegas will be really cool.

Well one difference is the price about $100 difference and if the new vegas arnt "THAT" much better I might still consider the sol just for the price reduction,, im going to need at least 3 and probably 4 so cost is a factor,,, I will probably wait and see what the opinions are on the comparisons between the two if the vega ever hits the market

catran

I'm not sure that people will know about a comparison, more a new review, at least at first. If I had a Sol, I wouldn't upgrade to a Vega.
I only need one, so I'll spend the money.
If I were buying multiple units, I'd have to go cheaper. The Sol is still an awesome light. I was only a couple of weeks away from giving up and getting one when I heard the pre-order was available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneakerhead

Cat, which tank are you getting the Vegas for?
I was considering a LED swap in my RSM 250 tank, would DIY be a better option than a SOL/Vega retrofit?

yankieman

I'm not sure that people will know about a comparison, more a new review, at least at first. If I had a Sol, I wouldn't upgrade to a Vega.
I only need one, so I'll spend the money.
If I were buying multiple units, I'd have to go cheaper. The Sol is still an awesome light. I was only a couple of weeks away from giving up and getting one when I heard the pre-order was available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Cat,, that sounds like a good plan to me,,
Thats why we keep you girls around ,, to make our decisions for us LOL,,,

catran

Lol! No problem, buddy. Someone has to make up your mind! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm getting it for a 25g rimless Frag Tank. Check BigAl07 thread. He retrofit LED's, but I believe it was custom made for him. Here's a link to the kit for the RSM 130
Red Sea MAX 130/130D - Modular LED.ca

Cat, which tank are you getting the Vegas for?
I was considering a LED swap in my RSM 250 tank, would DIY be a better option than a SOL/Vega retrofit?
Yes it was a CUSTOM build for me but it was also the "Model" which the kit in the link came from. :)

In addition to Cat's link this one may add some insight to your question...
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/74719-developing-led-kits-rsm-tanks.html