API Nitrate Test

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
The instructions say to add 10 drops of bottle 1, shake, then shake 2nd bottle for 30 sec and add 10 drops then shake the vial for 1 minute. Why all the mixing? Is it because of the viscosity of the reagents, or some other reason?

Scott
I have 2 different test kits ,the one you have and aquarium pham..

both nitrate test have the same instructions..

if this helps?

lcstorc

Not sure why but that test always shows ridiculous nitrates in my system. I have given up on it entirely. I have 3 other tests that show barely detectible while that one says like 80.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Lynn, I remember you telling me that. The fact is my API shows lower than my Salifert! Color chart reading is very subjective indeed!

Frankie

RS STAFF
I found the api nitrates inaccurate also. Always at 80 like Lynn's. To be honest, If it was right most the stuff i keep would be dead at that level!

come to think of it perhaps my tests have all been wrong aswell

I have used the api for couple of weeks now it it constanly shows 20-40ppm always

even after water changes...hmm

anyone recommend a good quality accurate test kit

i have like a year or 2 old API test kit that did that. not i got a brand new one and it shows like 5
Not sure why but that test always shows ridiculous nitrates in my system. I have given up on it entirely. I have 3 other tests that show barely detectible while that one says like 80.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
come to think of it perhaps my tests have all been wrong aswell

I have used the api for couple of weeks now it it constanly shows 20-40ppm always

even after water changes...hmm

anyone recommend a good quality accurate test kit

Salifert is one of the better test kits with a higher degree of accuracy. However, reading a color chart is subjective.

jthomps123

I have an 'old' api nitrate kit that came with my tank a few month ago, and an new one that came in a new test kit, they both read the same; were readint about 10-20 until I got rid of my filter sock. Now they read 0.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Strange... I've used Aquarium Pharmacuetical test kits for years with no issues. I even duplicate test with Salifert along side when I doubt them. Salifert can get a precise (1ppm or 5ppm) on most test while the API gets close within 10ppm. Getting THAT precise is not necessary when I am on target.
Make sure your kits are not expired.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ssion/9184-ap-test-kits-expiration-dates.html

..... each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on
the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture.
Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of 2002.

Ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate, and GH all last for three years.
Nitrite and KH will last for four years.

Freshwater pH and Salt Level test are good for 5 years.....

bluespotjawfish

Salifert for me. I also use Jungle 5-in-1 test strips ('cause I'm lazy). The strips aren't good for a precise reading, but they work good enough for you to know if you have a nitrate problem (if it's pink at all you have to keep working, if you don't have to strain your eyes to see that it's pink you have to work even harder). If the test strip and/or the Salifert is clear you are done with your work and get to sit back and enjoy. I really like the option for the 1-5 ppm range with the Salifert too.

Good luck with the on-going battle of the nitrates!

heels92

..... each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on
the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture.
Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of 2002.

Ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate, and GH all last for three years.
Nitrite and KH will last for four years.

Thanks Woody,
I have been complaining to Frank that my nitrates are reading way out of line. He told me to forget about it, b/c my clam was doing so well. I have been banging my head as to why my nitrates were reading at around 10-40 according to the api test. I figured there should be an expiration issue. It turns out my nitrate test bottle was made in 0104.

With that in mind, what is the best kit to buy to replace it? I have heard that the powdered kits are the best.

Thanks.
Darrell

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Salifert makes one of the best test kits on the market. I have heard the Elos also makes a good test kit, but I've never used it.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I have not had any issues with API test results either. I often test with two different brands to compare. API has not failed me.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
For those of you that are having issues with it, test your newly made salt water, that should be zero if you use filtered water.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I think it has a lot to do with lot numbers also heels. My API kit seems to have the same results as yours. For all we know all of SC could have gotten a bad batch. I personally learned my lesson and will rely on Salifert from now on. I only test for this stuff when something looks to be off with my live stock. My regular testing is Ca++, alk and ph. I do these once a week.
Oh, I think you miss understood me about the clam. I was referring to my nitrates dropping since adding my T.Gigas.

heels92

I think it has a lot to do with lot numbers also heels. My API kit seems to have the same results as yours. For all we know all of SC could have gotten a bad batch. I personally learned my lesson and will rely on Salifert from now on. I only test for this stuff when something looks to be off with my live stock. My regular testing is Ca++, alk and ph. I do these once a week.
Oh, I think you miss understood me about the clam. I was referring to my nitrates dropping since adding my T.Gigas.

So do clams help reduce nitrates...

I am sure my numbers are off though on my test kit.

Does anyone know of a place online to order one of the Salifert kits at a good price? Frank, do you know if Tidelines carries them?

Thanks for the feedback.

D