Apex Email & Text Notification

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I finally re-set-up my Apex controller this weekend. Being that I have no internet wall socket to plug the Apex into, I purchased a Lynksys Access Point router in order to be able to connect to the Apex.

The problem I'm having is I can't seem to complete the test email and text alert. I opened a new gmx email account and I'm pretty sure I have all of the setting correct but I'm not receiving any tests.

Anyone have any suggestions?

DaveK

First check to make sure that your new email account is set up correctly. Have someone send it an email from a conventional source, like a PC.

What is the exact model of the Linksys device you have? They make so many different ones.

A few general hints that may or may not help.

With any kind of networking, the devices need to be configured, and they need to match up. Getting all this to work can be very tricky. You may need to configure it a few times to get it right.

I usually set this sort of stuff up initially without any security features turned on. This lets me verify that it's all working. Once I've got that, I go back and implement the security features. Other than the initial setup, do not run with out security turned on. You don't want some hacker messing with your reef.

This may be a good question for a vendor forum, if they have one. Someone must have done it.

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is just run a LAN cat 5 or 6 cable from the Apex back to your main router. You can go along baseboards and so on, and they can be very long.