Anyone running dual Vortechs in their tank?

tnwillia

Anyone doing this? If so how do you feel about the results, wave action, effect on your livestock? Which Vortechs are you using and tank size? Thanks in advance...... Tom

sebiwinckler

Interesting... I would like to add the question, which vortech (single) you would suggest for a RSM250 additional to the standard-pumps - just to get the changing reef-flow not to overdose it! Thanks Sebi

tnwillia

Sebi... I'm running an MP40 now in my 250 and love it. Thinking about putting another on the other side of the tank. Thanks for jumping in!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey Tom,
Do you have to run your water level in the display tank any lower with the Vortech so the waves don't slop over the sides. Looking to get one of these also. Just one though - need to rob a bank for two.

Nowellsy SNR

Cant wait to get mine for Christmas lethal your right robbing a bank would be a good idea for 2 MP40's

Tom you have way to much money

tnwillia

Sorry, no guys, I just save for the year to do this, X-mas club is a wonderful thing, this is the time of the year I can buy tank stuff.

Leigh.... Didn't change anything, the way my rock sets I don't get anything more than ripples across the top running at about 70%. pushing it higher really blows my LPS stuff harder than I like. By adding the second Vortech I probably will get true wave more than now but what I'm after more than that is the more realistic dual direction flow and I'm guessing I can back the power down to 50%.

I've found many people who have done this on RC in other type tanks but I'm looking for RSM owners on here to see if anyone has already done it and how it worked.

Thanks all!

Mavjoy

Two vortechs in a 60+ gallon tank is ideal IMO. It all depends of the 'scape of the tank to get maximum flow. My mp40w gives my tank great flow but I'm still worried about the space behind the rocks that might not be getting enough flow.

quader94

do you think a mp40w is to strong for a redseamax 130d?

i have 2 in my frag tank and have been thinking about taking one out and putting it in my red sea

tnwillia

quader94..... Super thing about the MP40 is you can back it down to 1000GPH and with the wide push it has that really doesn't feel like much at all but your tank knows. Most I've read here put MP20s in 130s. If you already have the 20 there is an upgrade to take it to MP40 for $145. But if not buying the MP20 and upgrade costs more than getting the MP40 to start with. Good luck which ever way you go!