Anyone ever bitten by a trigger?

fishnfire

I was picking up a piece of fallen coral last night and out of no where my Niger Triger came along and bit me on the back of the hand....scared the daylight out me! He almost drew blood. I dont know who was scared more me or my clown fish who jumped right out of the tank !

jski711

So your trigger bit you and your clown jumped out of the tank!!! is the clown ok? kinda funny though, clowns can draw blood so ur lucky, niger's have some wicked teeth.

ReefLady

Staff member
Ouch, no. Worst thing that ever happened to me was being bit by a Coral cat....now that hurt.
The "scariest" thing that ever happened was target feeding my brittle stars...the big one (about 15" tip to tip) darts out of his cave, and wraps himself completely around my hand to get the chunk of scallop. Hubby says the look on my face was priceless. All I remember going through my head was "this star is cool, and I've had it for years..and I know it's harmless....but it better let go, or I'm going to jump up and down and scream and fling it against the wall". Luckily for it (me?) it let go. LOL

Is your clown okay? How's your hand?

fishnfire

It was very funny. The clown was fine....I'll keep an eye on that Trigger if I need to put my hand back in the tank !

mzreenie

Today my six-line wrasse bit me when I was using the turkey baster to blow off the rocks. It's not that it hurt so much, but I jumped so much that I got water everywhere!!!

mps9506

I can't even begin to describe how many fish have bitten me over the years between working at a fish store and interning at the aquarium.
triggers, clowns, wrasses, cichlids, catfish, even small bonnethead sharks....
That being said, the worst fish bite I've seen is when one of the volunteers at the aquarium was bitten by a 2.5-3 foot barracuda. The fish literally came flying out of the water like a torpedo flew out of the pool and sliced right through her hand at feeding time.

Sapphire

my clowns bite - was kind of amusing when they were smalll but now it hurts (especiallly when you aren't expecting it!). one of them consistently goes for the skin between your fingers.

ReefLady

Staff member
he worst fish bite I've seen is when one of the volunteers at the aquarium was bitten by a 2.5-3 foot barracuda. The fish literally came flying out of the water like a torpedo flew out of the pool and sliced right through her hand at feeding time.

Yikes!

razorvines

my clowns bite - was kind of amusing when they were smalll but now it hurts (especiallly when you aren't expecting it!). one of them consistently goes for the skin between your fingers.

That is where my really big "mother hen" clown bites me every time. Most of the time she draws blood!

mps9506

You guys need to train your fish better... Use the Caesar Milan approach... chhh... chhh... positive energy. You are the pack leader...

Kathleen

Now I'm scared. I have just set up my first saltwater, no fish yet. I have freshwater fish and if I ping back at them they leave me alone but no teeth. I love Cesar's methods, I wish that would work. Seriously should we be wearing gloves? Are saltwater fish alot more aggresive, does pinging water at them work?

burlybear

Ouch, no. Worst thing that ever happened to me was being bit by a Coral cat....now that hurt.
The "scariest" thing that ever happened was target feeding my brittle stars...the big one (about 15" tip to tip) darts out of his cave, and wraps himself completely around my hand to get the chunk of scallop. Hubby says the look on my face was priceless. All I remember going through my head was "this star is cool, and I've had it for years..and I know it's harmless....but it better let go, or I'm going to jump up and down and scream and fling it against the wall". Luckily for it (me?) it let go. LOL

Is your clown okay? How's your hand?

That's great I think I would freak too.
BurlyBear

jeffreyKTM

my good friend lets his 6" blue jaw bite him at feeding time.....doesnt usually draw blood his hands are very callous from masonry work....I wouldnt do it though.....my triggers are definitely taking a good chunk out if they get you.....:chainsaw:

golf8hdcp

My et puffer bit me I shook my arm in surprise... he flew across the room landed on the sofa... dont know who was more surprised him or me. picked him up back in the tank. He fine looking for food or fingers right away, like nothing happened !

l3fty999

My pinktail trigger tried to bite me, but I guess what happened is he wasn't trying very hard... maybe just curious more than anything. After all, they don't have hands or whatever to examine us. It could have been pretty ugly though, it's about 10 inches long. Kinda strange, it ordinarily *tolerates* my touch.

Aaron