Anyone dosing potassium iodide?

JWarren

I was just curious if anyone is dosing potassium iodide to their systems. If you are, what are you dosing it for and what effects have you seen from dosing it.

I've never dosed potassium iodide to any of my tanks, but I noticed that Seachem sells it. Is this product Seachem's answer to Lugal's?

gettanked

I was just curious if anyone is dosing potassium iodide to their systems. If you are, what are you dosing it for and what effects have you seen from dosing it.

I've never dosed potassium iodide to any of my tanks, but I noticed that Seachem sells it. Is this product Seachem's answer to Lugal's?

John,

You do need to keep your Iodide values close to (NSW) Natural Seawater Values: 0.060 mg/L.
Acceptable Range: 0.030 to 0.090 mg/L.
It is highly recommended to test before dosing.

Shell fish i.e. crabs and shrimps, needs Iodide to help them molt and benefits corals especially Pulsing Xenia like to have the Iodide values towards the high end of any Iodide chart.

Maintaining Iodide values is just part of the equation of keeping well balanced water chemistry.

If you keep the following stable and close to (NSW) your live stock will be happier:

Magnesium:
(NSW) Natural Seawater Values: 1280 mg/L
Acceptable range for saltwater aquariums: 1100 to 1400 mg/L

Iodide:
(NSW) Natural Seawater Values: 0.060 mg/L
Acceptable Range for saltwater aquariums: 0.030 to 0.090 mg/L

Strontium:
(NSW) Natural Seawater Values: 8.1 mg/L
Acceptable range for saltwater aquariums: 5.0 to 12.0 mg/L

Boron/ AKA Borate:
(NSW) Natural Seawater Values: 4.6 mg/L
Acceptable range for saltwater aquariums: 3.0 to 6.0 mg/L

Calcium:
(NSW) Natural Seawater Values: 400 mg/L
Acceptable range for saltwater aquariums: 350 to 450 mg/L

Potassium:
(NSW) Natural Seawater Values: 390 mg/L
Acceptable range for saltwater aquariums: 350 to 450 mg/L

Alkalinity:
(NSW) Natural Seawater Values: 2.5 mg/L
Acceptable range for saltwater aquariums: 2.5 to 5.0 meg/L

gettanked / Garry

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Garry stop listening to AWT ;)

John

Yo do not NEED to dose iodine. Such animals get most of it from their food and not the water column. With that said, if one wants to keep it at NSW levels there is no problem with that as long as you can test for it. And lots of aquarium companies sell iodine sup's. And yes it is SeaChem's answer.

gettanked

Boomer & Fellow Hobbyist,

When I make any comments about any subject, I speak from my very own 20 plus years experiences in this hobby, about 19 of those years I’ve been doing aquarium maintenance service to-date, and the latter 6-7 of those 20 plus years was maintaining my own 14 independent aquaculture systems totaling 3,000 gallons until I centralized them in to 3 systems and last but not least, since “2000” I have not been using any commercial products but my own 2 part sea salt mix, dry and liquid additives, supplements, trace elements and carbon to maintain my own 3,000 gallons aquaculture systems. So again, I speak from my very own experiences and what works for me with great success.

I was under the impression that these forums were to tell others about what each other has learned via experiences or trials and tribulations.

Boomer and Fellow Hobbyist, you may disagree or agree with me but please don’t disrespect my experiences & opinions. Let the other readers make their own opinions with info of others.

Yes saltwater animals can get their nutrients by food as well as by ingesting water and or adsorbing nutrients from the water column thru their skin, same principles as a human patch.

I agree with AWT about their guide lines, you have to start some where.

We have to utilize what test kits we have at hand and no test kit is totally accurate, but it sure beats a blank. I truly believe in testing on a regular basis the NSW values.

I think that NSW values should be used as a guide line and we are finding out that some levels will be higher and or maybe even lower then NSW for aquarium purposes.

We are finding out what worked good yesterday is not so good today.

This hobby is evolving at a rapid rate.

Happy Hobbying.

gettanked / Garry

JWarren

Well,

Thanks for the input fellas!

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific though.

I have been testing and dosing Lugal's which is Iodine. My load is one drop per day to maintain .06 in a 55g.

Now, what I really wanted to find out, was if anyone is dosing, stricktly, Potassium Iodide, not Iodine.

Octoman

In the past I have dosed Kent Marine's Iodine which is primarily potassium iodide. I quit dosing this primarily because a dose and an overdose are not far apart and I melted my Xenia and almost fried some other corals from a miscalculation. Weekly water changes replenish iodine so I quit worrying about dosing. I still test, but it stays around 0.04 so I don't worry about dosing to bring it to 0.06.

Witfull

you may disagree or agree with me but please don’t disrespect my experiences & opinions.
Garry

yes, this is true, at times though opinions get heated. stick to your guns and what you believe is true. even Dr. Ron is right sometimes~

Boomer

I was under the impression that these forums were to tell others about what each other has learned via experiences or trials and tribulations.

Hmm, then how come it sounds as if you do not respect my or others opinions but just go on a rant as if only yours counts ?? You have 20 years well, I have over 40 years and so what.

but please don’t disrespect my experiences & opinions.

And just where or who insinuated any of that. And your resume rant does not mean or prove anything. And one does not have to keep up Iodine levels to NSW, as it has been proven many, many times it is not needed. Your opinion is you HAVE to or NEED keep them up. That is not an opinion as given by you but as if it is a FACT.

opinions

Yah, everybody has one and some are just nonsense as they don not understand the subject matter at hand. Thus, one does not have to respect an opinion just because some says to respect it. And you whole post is nothing but more but a copy/past of AWT with no credit.

I agree with AWT about their guide lines, you have to start some where.

Yah, they are a little better after I corrected many of them for them as they were so far off form NSW. AWT does not follow what is called NSW levels and there are lots of issues with their testing procedures. And their guide lines are still poor. Even their given values of NSW are still off.

I think that NSW values should be used as a guide line and we are finding out that some levels will be higher and or maybe even lower then NSW for aquarium purposes.

We are finding out what worked good yesterday is not so good today.

This hobby is evolving at a rapid rate.

And most are well aware of that it is nothing new .

This is a much better guide line for reef tanks

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

What is Seawater? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have when I first started in the hobby but stopped once I realized the amount contained in ASW as well as other supplements. Also has anyone ever noticed the amount of Iodine in the marine algae that you feed your fish ?

JWarren

Thank you Mark and Robert for your input!

Boomer,

Thanks for taking the time to post the links, however, I am not looking for information on the elementary aspects of saltwater composition or it's elements. I am merely polling the population of this forum.

Boomer

John

What I posted for you were to articles on Iodine and its use in the ocean and reef tanks so you would understand it better. It discuses the three forms of "iodine" and how to not use and how to use. Iodine, not Iodide or Iodate, has no real use as a sup.

As far as a poll OK. However, I always try to led the poster to more info so they have better understanding of its chemistry.

JWarren

Thanks Boomer, its all good.

The chemistry is not a problem for me. I have a very clear grasp on Iodine and was curious, for my own personal research, the number of people that have bypassed the use of an aqueous solution of iodine and only dose potassium iodide.