any 1 have a SCWD?? pic (& other advice)

kyle4201

Hi all,, Just got a
[h=1]1200 Supreme Classic Mag Drive Pump for $75[/h]
brand new in the box.

Im going to hook up my old (my 1st attempt, excellent built but to small 4 my reef) refugium to the 55 aggressive tank. Im figuring it will help with trites, trates and ammonia levels,, right??? I am not going for pods so no mud or sand,, just plants im thinking??? if not let me know. :)

I saw this product and am considering buying 1. Any reviews? worth it?

http://www.aquacave.com/34-SCWD-Cur...ce-P215.aspx?gclid=CKe78Z78o7wCFQto7Aod4iIAwQ

Mike Johnson

I'm sure you read in the reviews that you lose a lot of pressure, but the Mag 12 is plenty powerful for a 55 gal. Looks like a good way to go. Sure is cheaper than a couple of wavemaker pumps.

reefer gladness

If you read the negative reviews on these devices you'll find the most common complaint is they get stuck on one side or another and they don't last very long. Give it a try but plan ahead with shutoff valves so you can replace the SCWD unit easily.

DaveK

Hi all,, Just got a
[h=1]1200 Supreme Classic Mag Drive Pump for $75[/h]
brand new in the box.

Im going to hook up my old (my 1st attempt, excellent built but to small 4 my reef) refugium to the 55 aggressive tank. Im figuring it will help with trites, trates and ammonia levels,, right??? I am not going for pods so no mud or sand,, just plants im thinking??? if not let me know. :)

I saw this product and am considering buying 1. Any reviews? worth it?

http://www.aquacave.com/34-SCWD-Cur...ce-P215.aspx?gclid=CKe78Z78o7wCFQto7Aod4iIAwQ

If you read the negative reviews on these devices you'll find the most common complaint is they get stuck on one side or another and they don't last very long. Give it a try but plan ahead with shutoff valves so you can replace the SCWD unit easily.

In my opinion this is something you should just return to the seller and get your money back. As an alternative, consider smashing it to bits and throwing it out, so as not to inflict the device upon some other unsuspecting reef keeper.(grin)

As reefer gladness points out, they have a notorious reputation for failing in one position or the other, don't last long and are not repairable.

If you want to have alternating flow in the tank, you are much better off using programmable pumps such as a Vortex or Tunze stream or somethig similar. Yes they do cost a lot more, but they will work for years. You could also get one large pump and just plumb it with valves and two returns.Both would always be on, but you'd still have flow from both directions. This isn't as bad as it sounds because you can direct the two returns differently to create a circular flow.

kyle4201

I plan on having 2 returns. I have 2 split to 4 on my mt. Just thought this would b nice since it comes with a splitter . Lol

update: I found I had a 9.5 on my mt, HAD. lol. Now I have a 1200. The 9.5 will b on the fuge 4 the 55 aggressive. Tee hee.

kyle4201

extra update. I have also nixed the squid thing and opted for a better overflow. the eshopps 1000.

thx 4 all the good/scary advice, lol.