Another CHILLER question about compressor. .....

Danreef

Hi all

Thank you for your patience with my chiller questions. Here we go.

If the chiller compressor is working and I stop the pump to feed the fish. Do I need to shut-off the chiller ? Or Can I let it continue running ?

If I let it run and the pump is off I am assuming that the compressor will low the temperature of the water in the pipes and will stop at the calibrated temp. The water in the pipes will cool very fast (small volume).

Is this correct or the compressor can be damaged.

Thanks
Daniel

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
You should never run the chiller without the pump running. It was in my instructions for my chiller. I shut the chiller and the pump down when I feed.

Oxylebius

You should never run the chiller without the pump running. It was in my instructions for my chiller. I shut the chiller and the pump down when I feed.

I've been doing it wrong for years, who knew. Guess I should get out the manual more often.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
When I feed my fish, I only use the pause mode on my dual MP10s...I leave the pumps running.
The fish have gotten used to this way & get overly excited when the MP10 flow slows.
I try to never turn the pump off that's running through my chiller.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I don't turn the flow off for the fish. I turn all the pumps off so the corals can eat. I do not spot feed any corals. I put the foods in and get it blowing around good and then cut all the flow. The food is now spread throughout the water column and as it settles the corals eat. I have done this for years, my corals thrive.

Danreef

I don't turn the flow off for the fish. I turn all the pumps off so the corals can eat. I do not spot feed any corals. I put the foods in and get it blowing around good and then cut all the flow. The food is now spread throughout the water column and as it settles the corals eat. I have done this for years, my corals thrive.

Agree 100%

Also I shut-off the pumps to avoid a lot of food reach the RSM250 sump. I leave my Jebao WaveMaker pump ON to spread the food and allow corals to get something too.

Daniel

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Agree 100%

Also I shut-off the pumps to avoid a lot of food reach the RSM250 sump. I leave my Jebao WaveMaker pump ON to spread the food and allow corals to get something too.

Daniel

I also agree with Daniel. The other advantage to shutting everything down is that less uneaten food ends up in the back of the tank.

Danreef

Thank you all for the answers. I really appreciate the input.

Going back to the main point of this thread, based on the answers, I have to shut-off pump chiller and chiller at the same time. I can not shut-off the pump only.

Why I was asking this ?

Well, it already happens to me twice that I start all the pumps and not the chiller. First time tank finished at 87 and I realized because I saw the corals strange. Second time finished at 81.5 because I setup an alarm in my controller and I was in the room when the alarm went off.

Cheers
Daniel

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Daniel, I am a little confused by your last post. You are turning the pumps off, but I don't get the part abut the chiller and the temp. I must not be understanding something.

I don't know if this helps, but I plugged my chiller and pump into a drop cord and then that drop cord into the pump outlet on my EB-8. I am not using my Apex to control the chiller, so that way I can shut it and the pump down at the same time.

Frankie

RS STAFF
He has the pump and chiller on the same line. So they both are controlled by the same power source.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Me either. I don't see it hurting anything shutting it down. Maybe over time relays and control switches can burn out from being turned on and off daily though.

Danreef

Sorry I was not clear. My pumps are now connected to the RSM250 plugs and the chiller to another external plug. I turned off the pumps plus chiller to feed the fish. But twice I forgot to turn ON the chiller. The lights increased the temperature. When I realized about my mistake, the first time the tank was at 87, and the second at 81.5.

I need to find a way that I do not forget to start again the chiller.

Probably the best will be to have the chiller pump + the chiller in the same line.

Sorry again for the confusion

Daniel

Joeys Tank

You mentioned you have an alarm set up in your controller. Are all of the power ports used on the controller and that is why your chiller and pump are not together? I can't recall how you did your setup. For my Aqua, I have all of the circulation pumps plugged into a power strip which is then plugged into the Apex (using one port instead of 6).

I hate forgetting things, so I minimize the things I need to remember.

Danreef

I have not finished yet the final setup of how I want all connected in the RSM250 to my controller. For now I only have the dosing pumps, the heater to shut-off at 78 with temperature alarm at 81.5 F and some LEDs for sunrise and sunset. All the rest is still connected to the tank factory plugs.

If I connect the chiler to my ReefKeeper, then I have to buy a module that has 2 plugs able of supporting , I believe it was, 10 Amp.

Based on the comments, the best route will be to have my chiller pump and chiller controlled by the RK. I will order the special module....is not expensive...Around or less than $50.

Daniel

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I mentioned before, I chose not to hook my chiller up directly to my Apex. I wanted to be able to turn the pump off and since I have the chiller hooked up to the right circulation pump, I needed to be able to shut both down to feed.

Danreef

I mentioned before, I chose not to hook my chiller up directly to my Apex. I wanted to be able to turn the pump off and since I have the chiller hooked up to the right circulation pump, I needed to be able to shut both down to feed.

Ok...not hooked to your controller but both (right pump and chiller) in the same electric line so both are shut-off simultaneously and that reduce the risk of forgetting to start the chiller.

I will do that. With the controller or by hand is something I have to think about it.

Cheers to all.....GREAT CHAT this thread.

Daniel