Anemone Problem

pgrtgunner

My tank has been set up with corals and fish. I bought 2 Bubble Tip Anemones/Peach tip and Rose tip.
Both died within 5 days of being in my tank. I bought them from two different stores and they both said
that my tank was too young to add anemones.

Years ago I put Carpet and Sebae in a tank that was set up for 2 or 3 months and no problem.
Why do they die now? The only thing I can think of is; that they are tank raised or the species is the problem.

Any ideas???

Kremlin

I put mine in a month after my tank was set up and its still alive and happy 8 months later. What are your params?

reefer gladness

Since they died in such a short period of time the most likely culprit is acclimation shock. This could be the acclimation from the LFS to your own tank and it could also be the nem was in poor condition when it was purchased.

Water parameters and stable temps are critical of course but I've observed BTA's taking a fair amount of abuse without dying if they were healthy to start which is why I say acclimation.

Other factors such as lighting and feeding would not be cause for such a rapid decline.

pgrtgunner

My params are very good, I do a 5-7 gal water change every 6-7 days. I have a 80gal Nuvo.
The anems didn't live long enough to where it could be the water changes.

Subtract the sump, rocks, sand and critters, I'm guessing it comes out to be a 50-55 gal tank.

I acclimate everything the same way except corals. I put the bag in the tank for 20 mins, then drip them for another 20 mins.
Is there a different or better way? I'm open to your ideas folks.

reefer gladness

Here's a some great info on BTA's, recommended acclimation period here is 1.5 to 2 hours. I probably acclimated mine a good 2.5 hours from the LFS.

http://www.karensroseanemones.net/acclimization.htm

The closer the LFS water params to your own the less chance for shock from being acclimated. Maybe the last time you acclimated nems successfully the water params were closer than they were this time around.

I was fortunate to observe my BTA at the local fish store for at least 2 months before I brought it home so I knew it was pretty healthy to start. Sometimes the nems or corals you get from the LFS were just unloaded off the truck an hour before though and it's a big difference for the livestock. It probably went from a holding tank at some remote location in the Pacific before being shipped to another holding tank California. Then it may not have spent much time in Cali before it got shipped off to your LFS. Point being that poor nem may have been shipped/re-located 3 times in the space of a week.

pgrtgunner

Thank you soooo much. Is this just with BTAs or all species?? Like I said, I have never had a problem before, of
course I've never had a BTA.

Thanx again....Mark

reefer gladness

My experience is limited to the bubble-tip nems but I think the acclimation advice would apply equally to other varieties.

pgrtgunner

2 hours to acclimate!!?? This is a first, have never heard of this long. Oh well, I love nems and clown fish in them, so I guess 2 hours it is.

Thanx to all :)