Anemone Id please

I just bought this nem at the LFS. It was labeled as a rock nem. Ha. I'm thinking it is a tube anenome. Also. I just realized there is a live snail in the shell. Can anyone Id the snail also. I just wanna make sure it's reef safe. FYI it was only 4 buck so I couldn't resist.

Oxylebius

Paraiptasia radiata (Family Aiptasiidae) is a small anemone (about 1cm tall) often seen on a snail. It has a striped body column and finely striped oral disc.

What size is your anemone?
The column on your looks striped.

There are other kinds of sea anemones (Neoaiptasia morbilla) that are also seen stuck on the shells of living snails as well.

Steve L

It's not a rock nem, looks more like aiptasia than anything else I've seen. Even if you decide to discard the nem, keep the conch, they usually cost more than you paid for them both.

Mike Johnson

Aiptasia multiply like rabbits on steroids and I'm not a big fan of anemones in a reef tank anyway. Take the conch out and scrape it off very thoroughly and keep the conch.

Oxylebius

From published article: https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/dspace/handle/1808/6039

"Very small, cryptic specimens of a new species of sea anemone attach to shells of living gastropods that burrow in subtidal sand on the shores of Saipan and Tinian, Mariana Islands. We have found members of the new species, which we describe as *Neoaiptasia morbilla*, on the shells of eight species of snails that belong to five families."

"We modify slightly the definition of the genus *Neoaiptasia* (family Aiptasiidae) to accomodate this species. *Neoaiptasia morbilla* n.sp. is most easily distinguished when alive by its pale column with minute red spots and symbiosis with a living gastropod."

"In preservation, it is distinguished by its lack of cinclides, relatively weak musculature, bumps on its column, which is not divide into regions, and details of its cnidae. Specimens of *N. morbilla* n.sp. resemble those of *Paraiptasia radiata* in being symbiotic with snails and living in east Asia, but specimens of *P. radiata* are larger, have prominent longitudinal stripes, and have a column divided into scapus and scapulus. The animal now known as *P. radiata* was originally described as *Actinia radiata*, a name that has been applied to two species of sea anemones from eastern Asia."

-/-/-

I'm not sure how well it will survive in captivity and I'm not sure if it will reproduce fast, if at all, considering it has symbiosis w/your snail. I would chance it in this case as it is not the aiptasia that causes reefers issues. This is a very cool symbiosis here. It is very cool to keep in your tank. I would absolutely keep it if I had it, but I am a scientist by training and find this type of symbiosis fascinating.

The downside to this is that it does reproduce. If it does it really isn't a big deal as there are ways to rid your tank of aiptasia, it isn't the end of the world. If you are nervous then set up another tank for it and build that tank around it.

Snid

"If you are nervous then set up another tank for it and build that tank around it."

Heh. I think that if I ever follow that philosophy with my up and coming reef tank each time something unusual creeps in, I'll end up with a hundred aquariums around my house and a stack of divorce papers.