Ammonia Spike

kathya0321

So my 14 gal Bio Cube has been up and running for 10 months. I have been having trouble keeping my Nitrates down, I normally do a 2 gallon water change per week, but I decided to do a 3 gallon last week. The next day all my corals looked terrible, and like they were dying. I checked my parameters and besides my ph being around 7.4 and my nitrates between 10 and 15 ppm everything else was 0. I added some ph buffer and brought my ph up, the next day most of my corals looked a little better, I did lose some zoa's though. So I decided to check my parameters again and all of a sudden I have .05 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 to 15 nitrates. I do another 2 gallon water change the next day then check my parameters, I was shocked to see my ammonia up to 1.0, 0 nitrites and again 10 to 15 nitrates. Any idea what could be causing this? I have a goby and green emerald crab, both accounted for, and various hermit crabs and snails, so I don't think it is from something dying. Could it just be my test kit? Shouldn't I be seeing some nitrites? Any help would be appreciated.

Kovu

The one idea that I could think of is that there are too many water changes going in a short period of time. Im not too sure about nano tanks but in larger tanks this can remove some of the bacteria thats in charge of converting ammonia to nitrite and so on. So basically the bacteria colony is taking a hit every time you do a water change which with the increase frequency could be causing spikes. But it could be several other factors too but thats just my opinion.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I would question your test kit. Take a water sample to your LFS and have them check the ammonia level.

DaveK

An ammonia spike is telling you that something has died. In you case, I suspect the water change killed yout good bacteria on your live rock and in your filtration system. I suspect you mixed your SW bad, using either untreated tap water or you got the SG way too high or way too low. Of course, this is not going to be possible to prove at this point. It is also possible you god something in the tank. Did some one use your mixing container as a bucker for household cleaning? Did someone use a spray cleaner around the tank?

I would say that it wasn't a good idea to add buffer, but most likely this was not the cause of your problem.

It's still a good idea to have your LFS test the water.

About all you can do not is tough it out. It will be similar to the tank going through it's initial cycle, but will usually be faster. Make water changes as needed to keep ammonia down. Except for SG and temp, don't worry too much about the other water parameters for the moment.

Joeys Tank

The die off may also have been a result of pH at 7.4. Healthy range is 8.0 to 8.4. A drop of pH from 8.4 to 7.4 is a 10 times increase in H+ ions. Low pH stresses calcifying organisms which is why your corals looked stressed. Since you noticed this following a water change, I would guess that there was an issue with your salt mix. Specifically, you most likely had a significant drop in alkalinity which would drive your pH lower.

Another thing I would look at is has there been any changes to the aeration of your water? A new filter, less gas exchange at the water's surface, increase growth of algae due to elevated nitrates? A build up of CO2 will also drive your pH lower. Hard to tell if this is what you are experiencing because the pH buffer will mask the problem (props to DaveK for mentioning this). However, now that a buffer has been used, you will want to start measuring alkalinity to make sure it stays in acceptable levels , 2.5 to 4 meg/L or 7 to 12 dKH. Since you are living in New Hampshire (if I am correct), then a likely cause of increased CO2 in your tank is it is winter time and your house is closed up. With a closed house, you, family members, pets, ovens, furnaces, etc are generating CO2 and ventilation of outside air is reduced. You are running a biocube, so I am assuming you aren't using a pump and most likely have an airstone for aeration. A fun, little experiment would be to record your pH levels a few days after you stop buffering. Then run your airline to a window and stick it outside and close the window. Make sure you don't significantly restrict airflow. Now that you are pulling outside air (which will have lower CO2 levels) see if you notice an increase in pH over a couple of days.

Looking back, it seems I may have rambled some. But I definitely enjoyed it :)

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

sirrealism

I would agree DaveK and Joey. I do not think changing the amount or to often is going to be your problem. I have an 8g Bio cube that has been running for 6 years. when things got out of wack I have done 5g water changes with no issue. i do 3g every 4 days only because I have a carpet nem in there.