almost everything is dead!!!!!!!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes... copper is FAST! I've heard of just a small amount of "copper treated" water being accidentally added to a Reef Tank and the next morning ALL inverts are GONERS!! Very potent in a Reef Tank...

KimPossible

Varga,
I am soooo sorry to hear this tragedy. I agree in regards to the xenia, they look irritated not dying. Yes, I see your that your snails are stressed, hanging on the best they can.

The best of the as far as we know two evils, is that your tank had a jolt that caused all this damage. If so, a part from the direct effect on coral and fish, I wonder how the oxygen level would be affected, and its continued affect until being restored.
Keep up with the carbon and water changes. I'm hoping for the very best.
:(

blue_eyes53813

Man This really stinks... I am so sorry, I wish there was something I could do.. This has to be the worst day ever for you... Hang in there..

nikkipigtails

I'm so sorry about your tank crash. Hopefully it wasn't copper and you can save the majority of your tank inhabitants. We'll do the best we can to help you out. Keep doing the water changes and running carbon. It looks like it's helping a little. Kim's right...your xenias look irritated, not dead.

Stacef

I am soo sorry, I wish I had an answer for you but just want to let you kno wI am thinking of you and your tank.

Varga

Thank you all for the support.

just came home to find more fish alive so the only positive deaths were the ones I found in the morning medium sailfin and large lyretail anthias everyone else seems ok now corals still look horrible

vdituri

Varga,
Sorry to hear about your losses.
Glad to hear it's not a total loss though.

Any chance this could have been from a spawning event?
The pump would be the first suspect since it's the only thing you have added recently.
Best of luck man.

prow

what about your ph? i read through this but did not see any mention of ph. did it drop at night? not sure if you have a controller to look back or not.

Varga

ph is dead on 8-8.2 the smell is now everywhere in the house. the evil pump is out!

prow

sounds most likey the pump. when you cleaned it did you use vingar or something or just water?

Varga

I was smart enough to just use water to clean it and not think anything might happen :(

prow

just a geuss here, but pesticide or weed killers in the lawn could have got on/in the pump, like otheres here suggested. cleanning it with vinagar might have done some good. whatever it was your doing the right things now with heavey skimming, carbon and water changes. i also agree with adding O2, if nothing else a couple airstones to help out and increased flow, esp at the surface. hope things start to look better soon, keep us posted.

o, though its likey the pump at the root of the problem, have you tested your RO/DI water for chlorines?

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Sorry but I don't buy the pump theory at all. IMHO Kim is right it is either O2, a current leak or a dead animal that raised the ammonia up to dangerous levels. If there is no ammonia then it is one of the other two. It all sounds more like lack of O2 during the night for some reason.

Cooper in tank, the inverts will be the first to go and not the fish and that snail is still alive and the same fro "feed killers". Many reefers have woken up to a tank like yours in the morning and 99 % of the time it is little O2 or a dead fish. If you put a Polyfilter in the tank and it turns any shade of blue within a few hours, then only will I buy the cooper theory.

Varga

I only had 2 dead fish after all but one was stuck to a koralia(blowing bacteria everywhere?) second dead guy was stuck between rocks

put the pump back on? w/o it i have no skimmer

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
With the lack of O2 the fish would certainly have died before the corals as corals don't have as high an O2 demand as fish.

Sounds like some kind of chemical event that you can't test for. Any disgruntled wives, friends, children around? Could someone have poured something into the tank or sprayed something into the air near the tank?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sorry but I don't buy the pump theory at all. IMHO Kim is right it is either O2, a current leak or a dead animal that raised the ammonia up to dangerous levels. If there is no ammonia then it is one of the other two. It all sounds more like lack of O2 during the night for some reason.

Cooper in tank, the inverts will be the first to go and not the fish and that snail is still alive and the same fro "feed killers". Many reefers have woken up to a tank like yours in the morning and 99 % of the time it is little O2 or a dead fish. If you put a Polyfilter in the tank and it turns any shade of blue within a few hours, then only will I buy the cooper theory.

That's right. Dang I missed the "Dead Fish". They can handle (to a certain extent) copper levels.