aiptasia in my overflow

Susan987

I have a 90 gallon reef with an overflow. I noticed some algae at the top and when I went to remove it manually, I saw not just one aiptasia, but multiple. I applied some AiptasiaX to a few, which did help, but there are so many and they go down to the bottom of the tank, I can't reach them. Anyone ever experience this and what did you do? I saw the YouTube video where a guy blows the aiptasia with boiling water and then sucks it up. Anyone try that? Please help.

reefer gladness

Aiptasia X, Joes Juice, boiling water, high-powered lasers - they all work but in my experience once it's in the system it's near impossible to eradicate. I keep a couple peppermint shrimps, occasionally one or two will make it into the overflow and clear out the aiptasia and then I'll trap them and put back in the display tank.

Susan987

I did throw a peppermint into the overflow, but thaw aptasia are so big, he won't eat them. Because they are in overflow, physically it is just hard to get to them. I am going to try the boiling water.

Oxylebius

Agree w/above, once they are in the system it is hard to eradicate them. From time to time I also find them in my sump area and overflow. You can always try a berghia nudibranch, they can get into tight places. But, depending on the flow, you may want to cut power to your pumps. You want to make sure that no harm comes to the nudi, and let it do its job. Once it clears out the aiptasia you will want to give it to another reefer or local reef club. The nudis only eat aips and will die if they don't have any. It is always great to share them.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I have them in the back of my Red Sea, but in the display tank. I used to see a couple but since I put in the peppermint shrimp. Some people like them in their sumps.