Acclimating snails

lmaldonado614

I ordered snails hermit crabs and turbo snails in the mail what is the best way to acclimate them.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Mania25

Apparently they can be more sensitive than fish. There is no point in rushing to get them in the tank. I always find they do better with the drip method, that goes for any livestock I out in my tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Here is ReefCleaners... advise for their CUCs...

All Animals at this Time:

1. Float the bag in your tank to get the animals used to the temperature in your aquarium.

2. Wait 15 minutes.

3. Add animals to the tank, discard shipping water and any towels used in the packaging.

4. DO NOT DRIP ACCLIMATE.

It is normal if many of the shipping bags have little water, and a wet paper towel. They were shipped that way purposefully.

Important: Snails may go through shock during shipping, and be closed when they arrive. You should give them plenty of time to come out of their shells and move around before deciding they didn't make the trip.Snails may go dormant for up to 3 days.

You may find this to be different than the acclimation procedure you are used to carrying out. The reason we ask our customers to use this procedure is because our snails and crabs live intertidally, and can handle swings in ph/salinity without a problem. However, what they can't handle is toxic levels of ammonia. During the shipping process, ammonia levels in the shipping bags build, while the ph level goes down. As the ph goes down the toxicity of ammonia also goes down. However, when your tank water with normal ph is introduced to the shipping bags, and the ph rises, so does the toxicity of the ammonia, and you will be poisoning the livestock. Please don't do this and certainly never let livestock sit out in buckets with shipping water exposed to fresh air for a long period of time, we know of no surer way to kill your new arrivals. Please don't acclimate them in this way, we do not cover the losses that will result, and will enforce this policy strictly. We understand you may not prefer different acclimation procedures, but this works and the rest will lead to more losses so please experiment with other products, not ours we do not accept the additional risk involved. Any other method of acclimation voids the Alive Arrival Guarantee. It is an easy method of acclimation and it works fine, please follow it.

Many orders will contain empty hermit shells for hermits to move into free of charge, like those containing our quick crews with hermits. They will be similar in shape to snails we sell, please check for dry bags of empty shells before you add items to your tank, and check to see if the claim you have is really just empty hermit shells.

lmaldonado614

Thank you all so much I have had this 75 gallon tank for 6 months now very excited and is becoming a fun hobby. Lots of trial and error in beginning but all fish and snails have been doing well for 3 months no casualties lots of water changes but just happy to have site to help thank you very much.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Mania25

That's fine @nanoreefing4fun however I was talking about the livestock you buy from the lfs. I always use the drip method and would never just float the bag and put the livestock straight into the tank. Just my opinion and it works for me.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers ! I was just responding to the OP (original poster)

I ordered snails hermit crabs and turbo snails in the mail what is the best way to acclimate them.

just posting John's method (owner reefcleaners) not related to anything but cuc (clean up crews)

:cheers:

and there always more than one way... most do exactly as you suggested

nd200

I just floated mine for a while then started adding my sank sater to a large bowl. Nothing much to it. Snails I find to be pretty hardy depending on what kind you get.

SubRosa

Most clean up crew species are collected in tide pools. Rapid changes in temperature and salinity are a daily occurrence for them. I have acclimated Blue Leg Hermits, Turbo and Cerith snails by seeing how far away I could stand and still have them land in the tank when I threw them across the room. You're more likely to harm them by letting them sit in the nasty water they were shipped in while you drip them.

Squatch XXL

I have acclimated Blue Leg Hermits, Turbo and Cerith snails by seeing how far away I could stand and still have them land in the tank when I threw them across the room
Hahahah, this is great. I would recommend that ANYONE who is worried about taking care of any critter to acclimate slowly Just like fish.......

However, I do nothing for crabs and snails. I picked up a small CUC the other day and literally pulled them from the LFS bag and set them on the rocks I wanted them to start on. Within a minute ALL 10 of the introductions were trucking away....Was only snails and crabs and nothing special.....besides they will probably end up as a Stomapod snack.