A used 75 with internal over flow value?

cracker

Hey Folks what do You think a used 75 gl tank with internal over flow , 1 inch drain is worth? I haven't seen the tank. The seller has a collection of snails and hermits.which I could use for sure. He has a tank and cabinet stand. I don't want the stand but will have to go with the sale. I'm interested in the tank and cleanup crew only. Any OP's? Thanks!

jaws789832

Just my opinion and depending on the condition I probably wouldn't pay more that 200$ for it. Now if the stand was good and usable maybe 300. I bought my 120 (Although it was undrilled and I did that myself) for 150$ off craigslist and it was about the same thing. I couldn't use the stand, but it did come with filters, and basic lights and cleaning stuff. Around here you can get a 75 predrilled with overflow, stand and plumbing (no sump) brand new for about 600$

DaveK

When you purchase a used tank, consider the following -

Is the tank and other equipment it good shape? If it's not close to perfect, what will you need to do to correct this? Scratches in glass can not easily be removed. Broken or damaged tank frames are a lot of work to repair.

Does the tank fit into what you want? For example, if you wanted a 125 gal tank, and a 75 is available, it would be a step downs for you.

What are you going to need to spend to get the additional tank equipment you'll need? The filtration system, a skimmer, and lighting can cost way more than the tank. After all is said and done, you may not be saving very much.

What is going to be the TCO, Total Cost of Ownership? Don't forget things like the amount of power it will take to run it, filter media replacement, bulb replacement and so on. You might find a 75 goes way over your budget or you might find that a 125 will not cost that much more. A lot depends on how you feel about the system and what you want out of it.

cracker

Thanks gents for the repy's, Years ago I bought an old beat up 200 for 75 bucks . A huge tank for so little money! Dave I learned the TCO aspect the hard way! I love that term. I want to use it in the future. Thanks Man!
Ok a little back ground info I have the 200 going ( it's actually a 220 but thought it was 200 back then) It's up and running however could be much better but that's another story.
So I have a perfectly good All Glass 75 with metal stand. It's not drilled. I've been setting this up as a 2nd tank. Currently I'm using an external over flow with the utubes. and I don't like it! I could drill this tank thru the back( the bottom is tempered) but really don't want to go thru all that again. A guy wants too sell his drilled 75. I f I can get it for a reasonable price? I'm not willing to pay much over 100$ for it, (cleanup crew and all) just wondered what You guys thought it was worth. I guess it's worth what he's willing to take for it but I don't want to insult him with a low offer.
Also Jaws I just checked out Your thread, the stand and hood build is very professional!
Thanks!

DaveK

TCO, Total Cost of Ownership, is a business term that's been around for years. One example is ink jet printers that sell for little money but it costs a bundle for the replacement cartridges that need frequent replacement, verses a laser printer that costs more, but the toner cartridges last a long time. If you print a lot, the laser printer is often a far better deal, long term.

Squatch XXL

I won't say our "LFS" name, but they have a website as well. I was told over the phone that as a member of their club I could purchase a new reef ready 75g with a single overflow for $240 USD.....$140 USD for the non-reef ready.

cracker

Thanks Guys , I don't want to insult the Guy But I'm not willing to pay any more. I sent him a pm and said the same thing I said here. I'll just work with what I have. TCO I love that term it does truly fit many aspects of life!