A Simple RO/DI hookup anyone can do...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I bought my ro/di water for my swt (saltwater tank) at the lfs (local fish store) for the 1st year I had my tank & always though (not being great at DIY projects) getting a unit & hooking it up could be a bit complicated.

I see post about new members using tapwater & asking about faucet filters like the API Tap Filter, so I decided to create this post & show anyone new one very simple way to make your ro/di water.

Here is what I did, the install was 2 minutes and I was off making my 1st 5 gallons of ro/di water for my sw tank.

1. Get a simple Faucet Diverter Valve, screw it in - connect the hose. Your ro/di unit will have 3 hoses, one connects to the faucet, one goes down the drain (waste water - I make mine in the shower, you can use your bathtub or shower and never have to worry about overflows) the last hose goes into you container (good ro/di water), I use 5 gallon jugs.

Here what this looks like...

200013-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-Chrome-Faucet-Diverter-Valve-QC-a_1.jpg

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/chrome-faucet-diverter-valve.html

2. Buy a ro/di unit... imo - if you are on a budget this is a value at $129 & the way to go over the API Tap Filter and much superior to any dosing product you add to your tapwater to "condition" it. For $30-40 more you can get even a nicer unit, 150 GPD is my choice as I can make up 5 gallon of ro/di in about 45 minutes and I like to make up enough to last me 3 weeks, I do 10% water changes per week & for me that takes 10 gallons a week.

An ro/di unit will pay for it's self in less than a year... and possibly much less time if you drive to the lfs to get water weekly, you save gas & we all know when visiting the lfs we end up buying other things... :) , plus save your back !

Here some links to some nice quality ro/di units...

Air, Water & Ice - TYPHOON 5 STAGE RODI REEFKEEPER
http://theh2oguru.com/reefkeepers-rodi/the-typhoon-reefkeeping-rodi-5-stage-with-asov.html
img_0963_1.jpg

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-ro-only-system-75gpd-2.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-value-water-saver-plus-ro-di-system-150gpd.html
200409-4-stage-value-water-saver-plus-ro-di-diagram_1.jpg

http://www.tbaquatics.com/75-gpd-4-...with-autoshutoff-valve-1137.html#.VUzNsI5VhHw
rodi75.jpg

If you have any question feel free to ask, lots of nice RS members will be willing to help you have success !

Hope this helps someone :dance:

Last edited:

Haaileybop

Awesome post Nano. I was so horribly confused when I was setting up my ro/di unit. I had to nag my more handy fiance for like 2 weeks to set it up after I flooded the bathroom a few times...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

blackwater

does anyone know if BRS will ship one of those to Canada? id love to use that instead of always having to connect and disconnect the way mine is now. great find Glenn.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
CALL OR CHAT WITH US
Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm CST 763-432-9691

SEND US AN EMAIL ANYTIME AND WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU SHORTLY.
Email: Support@bulkreefsupply.com

SEND US A FAX ANYTIME.
Fax: 763-546-1720

CLICK BELOW FOR INFORMATION ON SHIPPING, RETURNS, PAYMENTS AND MORE.
SHIPPING & DELIVERY

FREE SHIPPING SPECIAL
WE SHIP FROM MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA VIA UPS
INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING
BulkReefSupply.com currently only ships to the United States and Canada.

Smoker

My faucet had a pullout sprayer so I had to buy a new faucet in order to connect my dishwasher and RO/DI units.

The new faucet wouldn't accept the adapters that came with the DW & RODI.

I went back to Lowes and was told that faucet/aerator threads are not always the same. They sold me a $10 adapter. That was easy only because the faucet I had just bought was on display. Otherwise you need to measure well or take your faucet assembly apart and take it to the store.

Because I had two different things to connect, I had to keep unscrewing the adapter from one adapter and screw it into the other. This became a nuisance so back I went to buy a second adapter for the adapters. Lowes no longer carried it and sent me to Ace which fortunately did have it in stock.

I hope my experience was a rare one, but be prepared that you may have to go through something like this.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Smoker - I recently upgrade my bathroom faucet (20 years old) to a new Delta one from Lowes & I took my ro/di adapter with me to Lowes, as there are so many new faucets out there, I bought a $8 converter/adapter to go in my new Delta - worked like a charm. Lowes carries several adapters, good suggestion on taking the ro/di adapter with you.

Thanks for sharing

Oxylebius

I had mine set up in a guest bathroom (facet connection) but I'm getting bumped (for guests) and will finally have to set it up in the water closet in the garage - so any suggestions on how to connect the unit to either the water heater (in pipe, cold H20 pipe) or other cold pipes that go into the house?