A Little Help Please

deaclauderdale

Nothing getting great poly extension from any of my SPS (milli, pearl of the sea(sp), orange polyp digitata) and I've actually lost one. I have noticed my bi-color blenny nipping at all of them and my temp has reached 82 degrees on a few occasions and 77 at night. I do posses zoa's and paly's with GSP, and a chalice that are all in perfect health. My recent changes: new lights for my T5 which were broken in over 12 days (1hr day for 6 days, added an hour per day for the following), and two new Tunze 6055's.

Here are today's test results:

Pos 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8.2
Calc 575 (according to Hanna checker)
Alk 8dkh
Sal 1.025
Temp 80
Ammon 0

Lights sit 7inches above waters surface and it's a Tek Light with ATI bulbs.

Sent from my iPad using My fingers!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
possibly a lack of light, Ive always thought the window screen a better way than reduction of hours

jessemac

Also I think a possible lack of light. Though, if the Bi Color Angel is nipping at the corals, expect them to close up. There really are a reef safe angle. Another thing and more importantly you need to keep your temp in check, preferably around 78. that is a sure way to stress any type of live stock. Your Cal levels are way to HIGH. Slowly drop them down to about the 400-450 marker and dont let it go back up. Personally I would also bump your Alk up to around 9-10 and keep it there not to except 11 and below 8. All others look good. Increasing the water movement was a good choice as most corals especially sps seem to prefer at min a moderate water movement.

magnetar68

My guess is that the problem is your BiColor Angel. He is nipping at the SPS corals and they don't like it. According to a few sources in the net, the BiColor is not reef compatible, although some get lucky. Here is what LiveAquaria says:

...Not a good reef dweller, the Bicolor Angelfish is prone to nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles.

michael_cb_125

The OP actually has a Bi-color blenny not a Bi-color Angel. My guess is the little blenny is taking advantage of a coral in distress rather than actually killing it.

~Michael

michael_cb_125

As for the lighting issue. I really do not think low lighting levels for the short amount of time you listed is going to do that much harm to your corals. If you think about it corals are subjected to stormy/cloudy days (low lighting) and do fine.

I would look more into you water parameters than lighting issues.

~Michael

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
It could be a combination of things. Which test kit are you using to measure the alk ? The reason I ask is because with the calcium that high it's very difficult to keep your alk levels up unless you also have high mag levels, usually there will be precipitation with your calcium level that high. The bi-color Blenny could also be a problem and could explain the lack of extension but wouldn't explain the loss.

AFA reducing the photoperiod and then increasing it slowly I've done it successfully but I would've done it over a longer period of time. If I'm understanding you correctly going from 1 to 8-10 hours in a couple of weeks is quite drastic IME, it should've been done more slowly over a longer period of time and could explain the negative reaction by your corals especially if your water chemistry is good.

magnetar68

Oops, should have read the whole thread more carefully. Yes, so the blenny may be aggravating the situation, but probably not the cause.

I agree with cheeks69, probably a combination of things. Balanced Alk at 575ppm Ca is 10+ meq/L or a dkH closer to 29. So the water chemistry is not balanced. I have no experience with Ca levels that high, but the imbalance could be stressful to the SPS corals which have a higher demand for CaCO3. Can you double check that Ca level? The Hanna checkers are great but susceptible to inaccurate readings if the cuvets are not very clean and oil free.

deaclauderdale

I am using both LaMotte (sp) and Hanna testers/kits with the exception of my alk and I currently do not own a Mag test kit, but I will remedy that issue. I did remove the blenny as a precaution last night and I noticed this morning that two of the stressed corals are now looking dramatically better. I have better regulated my temp swings and I'll put my heater on my RKE along with my new fan for more detailed and monitored control. I will keep everyone updated on how the tank looks when I return home from work.

Sent from my iPad using My fingers!