90 gal tank build

DaveK

Wow! When you say build, you mean build, as in construct the tank itself from scratch. Good luck on this project.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^ Best of luck on the new build - great start !

20130427_221639_zpsbc7e3c92.jpg

Now I am waiting for the silicone to cure before I fill it with water and see how it holds up. I still need to add a couple of cross braces at the top to make it a little more ridged. I need the weather to clear up before I can cut the pieces for the braces. Hopefully I will be adding water this weekend.

info on the tank build so far.

the plexi was donated, but is not really glue-able do to the type it is. decided to try a screw and silicone method. i went through many "test" runs with some scrap. first i tried a machine screw and tapping the threads, but that did not work too well. i ended up with a #8x1" coarse thread screw and drilled the holes about the diameter of the shank and counter sunk the hole for the screw head. I made the wood base to support the weight and help prevent the bottom of the sides from bowing out. the top braces help a lot to keep everything stable too. I plan on adding some nice wood trim to cover all of the screws and wood base. so far i am into this build for about $20. if anyone wants anymore info or have any questions or comments let me know.

Ordered the plastic to make the over flow box today. Going to try a little different approach to it. I will post some pics when I make more progress. The tank is still in the garage and holing water.