75 Gallon Tower Seahorse Tank

seafansar

Thought I'd share some pictures of my seahorse tank. It's a deep blue 75 gallon tower tank (aka armpit soaker). It has Fiji pink sand, real reef rock, aqueon proflex sump, innovative marine skimmer, mag 7 return pump, aquaeuro chiller, deep blue solar extreme t-5 light, and an unplugged heater. lol. I'm keeping the temp between 74*-76*, so the heater was not needed and just kept fighting the chiller. For livestock, turbo snails, astrea snails, sand star, diamond watchman goby, blue dot jawfish, and several gorgonias. And of course 6 reidi seahorses! 2 red females, 2 yellow females, 1 yellow banded female, and the lone yellow banded male. They said they would try and send me male and female pairs, but so much for that! But I'm happy with them. They are all eating frozen Mysis well. They've actually grown a lot since I got them mid-March.

I feed 2 to 5 times a day depending on my schedule. I turn off the return pump to feed. I need to make them a feeding station, but so far they do fine swimming up to eat the floating Mysis and then eating the rest off the sand bed. The diamond goby is good at cleaning up what they miss. Thankfully the goby and jawfish are really good tankmates. They don't like each other, but they really pay no attention to the ponies.

10173396_10100812173265312_1976189487_n.jpg

974309_10100812173963912_2075508104_n.jpg

10173239_10100812173894052_1186442982_n.jpg

10264375_10100812173824192_1065218667_n.jpg

seafansar

10264900_10100812173724392_1034734090_n.jpg

The lone male. I'm not sure if I'm going to rehome him or just get more males. Don't want my girls getting egg bound.
10264693_10100812173489862_2147180557_n.jpg

Blue Spot
10173225_10100812173654532_1400584509_n.jpg

10264791_10100812173415012_1386173430_n.jpg

Steve L

Beautiful tank! How long has it been set up? I love the gorgonian's too, but haven't had much luck with them.

seafansar

Thanks! The tank's been up and running for I think 3 months now. Was running the longest time with only gorgonias and snails in it. The fish have been in there for about 2 months and the seahorses almost a month now. The gorgs seem to do better with more water movement than what's in this tank. I had to take some out cause they were getting almost no flow, but they rebounded in my other tank. The hard to keep ones are the red gorgs on the right side. They are not photosynthetic and have to be fed.

seafansar

Are my pictures not showing up anymore? :(

Well here are a couple new ones from today of my two red girls. The smaller one was a "problem" child for a little bit there. She ate frozen Mysis right after I got her, but decided a few days later that Mysis were uninteresting. She was pretty small then and was losing weight fast. I started spot feeding her live RN tigger pods which her thankfully took to and then got her eating RN tigger feast. Thankfully a week or so later, she suddenly decided to start eating Mysis again! And she's been a good eater since. She's still trying to catch up to her sister in size, but she's getting there.

Seahorse_zps81a4f279.jpg

Seahorse2_zps2a088384.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great pics & Beautiful horses !

Are my pictures not showing up anymore?

when I go to the url you are using on facebook... Facebook gives me this error message...

Sorry, something went wrong.

We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can.

Akshay

Yup above pics not visible... but wow I luv these two u posted now. Pls do post more, wld luv to c ur tank.

seafansar

Here are some of those pictures. Guess I shouldn't use facebook and just stick with photobucket.

The male.
photo1_zpsfe25411b.jpg

photo3_zps90a57bef.jpg

photo3_zpsc4552c72.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great pics - love the seahorses & bsjf

Thanks for sharing Sara we need more activity in the Seahorse forum and members to help & encourage others with Seahorse tanks and info on them.

They are so cool !!!

seafansar

Seahorses are fun. I didn't think I'd like them as much as I do. I've seen some pretty simple 30ish gallon set ups that work great for seahorses.

seafansar

Thank you!

So about 2 weeks ago I got in 3 more reidi seahorses. I was hoping to get 3 males and was disappointed when they arrived. I was told sexing them would be no problem and they would only send males, but alas they were too young to tell the gender and now I'm afraid they are all females! Just what I need, more females! And on top of that, they all had a bit of tail rot. :( So they just got done with their 10 day treatment in Furan 2. They are still in QT and will be until their sores fully heal. They look a lot better than they did when they arrived, but I can still see some grey patches where the tail rot was. So hopefully I will be able to introduce them soon. All three are yellow banded, but I don't have any good pictures of them just yet. They are being kept in a 5 gallon bucket with an air stone, hitching posts, and an ammonia alert (aka not good for pretty pictures! lol).

Oh and as for there seeming to be a skewed ratio of females to males, I have a theory that females tend to do better because they are more aggressive eaters. I could be way wrong about that and could just be luck of the draw for me. Who knows... But my females are much more aggressive feeders than my male. The females like to swim to the top of the tank to be the first to eat, while the male waits down on the rocks or bottom for the food to come to him.

seafansar

Yes. I mainly feed PE mysis. I supplement with krill and live brine (gut loaded with astax). I feed anywhere between 4 times to once a day. Usually I just feed twice a day.