29 gallon reef tank with possibly death Of devils hand coral

I have a 29 gallon with a green star polyp, some zoanthids and button polyps and two Xenia and a pulsing Xenia and a devils hand and a toadstool coral. It's tips are looking white and greenland it won't open. I had it in front of my power head because they need medium to high flow and I had it at the top of my rock which is about a foot from my light which is the Coralife Lunar Aqualight HO T5 Aquarium Light Fixture
And I thought it was bleaching so I moved it towards the bottom. What could I possibly do and do they molt.

DaveK

... a devils hand and a toadstool coral. It's tips are looking white and greenland it won't open. I had it in front of my power head because they need medium to high flow and I had it at the top of my rock which is about a foot from my light ...

Soft corals like this should have a moderate flow of water. Move it away from the powerhead, and make sure it gets some flow but not blasted by it.

Soft corals can tolerate a wide range of lighting conditions, but need to be adjusted to it slowly. If it's fairly new, try reducing the light by moving it, or by placing something to block some of the light going to it. I use a piece or two of white translucent plastic for this, but there are many other methods.

Yes, soft corals do "molt" they close up for several days and seems to shrink a little, and then shed a layer of "skin" to grow. This is normal.

If you see parts of the coral turning black, you usually have a problem, and the black parts are dead. Frag the remaining parts and mount them to try and save the coral.

If your in doubt about the health of a soft coral, give it the smell test. A good coral will smell bad, but a dead or dying will five off the most foul small imaginable.

I figured it out here it is the one closed up on the left.
devonvincent98-albums-pictures-picture24897-photo-1.JPG

ohiojeff

it isn't dead. soft corals come apart at the seams when the die. it simply isn't happy at the moment. get it out of the direct pounding of the powerhead, and leave it alone. it should do its thing and start coming out of it. soft corals desolve when the die often looks like skin peeling off.

jerry26

If your in doubt about the health of a soft coral, give it the smell test. A good coral will smell bad, but a dead or dying will five off the most foul small imaginable.

best to do that outside or next to a bucket. i almost instantly vomited the first time i smelled it. took all i had to not puke all over my floor. it is absolutely disgusting.