250 watt SE MH bulbs (comprehensive testing)

Maxx

hey everyone,
I went ahead asked Mojoreef if this was okay to do here, and he gave me the go ahead.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254667 (edited and fixed now...dont know what happened???)
This is a link to a thread on RC that is very detailed and very comprehensive, its on 250 single ended metal halide bulbs. And it encompasses just about all of them. the neat thing about it is that JBNY, (the guy doing all this work) is comparing all the bulbs with different ballasts, so you can see how the different combinations effect PAR. I hope we canget JBNY over here. He had just started posting over on RAG, when everything got crazy.
Important things to note....
1... JBNY doesnt work for anyone in the industry, he's just a hobbiest like you and me. He's doing this for knowledge and enjoyment of the hobby, (altho I suspect he quit enjoying these tests somewhere after the second month of steady testing bulbs and ballasts!)
2...This testing only encompasses 250 watt Single Ended bulbs. He's not comparing 400 watts or the 175watts, just the 250's. I dont know how much things will translate over to different wattages...(ie, if bulb Q gives off a PAR rating of 600 while being fired by ballast X in the 250 watt configuration, the same combination in 175 watt configuration wont necessarily produce a PAR rating of 525)...and JBNY doesnt even begin to try and draw correlations between his tests and other wattages.

Basically this is a great thread for those interested in learing alot about the different bulbs and ballast combinations and how they can effect your animals.
I hope you guys all find this interesting, I certainly have...
Nick

Last edited:

wooddood

the wood dude
thanks maxx ,good info.i cant read it right now have to go to work in a bit but i sure will later thanks again. dave.

mwrager

There is a lot of good info on that link. A must read for someone looking at getting new lights for their tanks. :bigblue:

sharks

Contributing Member
Crud I hope the page is up soon. I read it a while ago and JBNY did an awesome job in documenting his tests. I hope RC upgrades it's site soon.
A great link Maxx :thumbup:
S