2(+) Year Retrospective of a 12g Nano

goldenmean

Today, January 22, 2008 is the 2nd anniversary of the first first livestock being added to my 12g nano. Alonzo bought me this LFS custom built acrylic tank for me for Christmas 2005. Saltwater and sand were added before New Years. Then Live Rock was added Jan. 2nd. I cycled the tank with just the die off of the LR.
No damsel nor deli shrimp. I didn't know of the deli shrimp method and I am grateful that the LFS did not recommend the live fish method. I took a water sample to be tested every week and after 3 weeks I was told my tank had cycled and I could add a couple of hardy corals and the CUC.

I have gone through all my pics - there were a ton of them - so this Retrospective will be pic heavy. The first here show the top and the equipment area of the tank. There are only 2 rear chambers separated by a bubble trap. The overflow chamber has a built in skimmer powered by a Rio 600 with rejuvenating venturi Powerhead. 2nd chamber has the ATO, heater and return pump.

The hood came with sunpac 32W PC lights and the cooling fan. I later added the moon lights.

The other pics are of the LR after it was added Jan. 2 2006

Much more to come.

Attachments

• equipement.jpg
    equipement.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 476
  • lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 475
  • LR1.jpg
    LR1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 478
  • LR2.jpg
    LR2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 477

BarbMazz

Good thread idea, Jeff.... It will be fun to see how your perspective has changed over the last two years, too... going from a beginner to the level you're at now. :)

goldenmean

Thanks Barb.
This has been a great lil tank and I felt it deserves a chronicle of its own and I never started one for it. I wasn't sure how much I would remember but i spent a couple hours going through probably 2000+ pics and the memories came flooding back. I think I can create a interesting and helpful thread. I have noticed a lot of new people here at RS that have justed started up nano tanks. I wanted to share with them my experience - the ups and downs.

The story will continue this eve after I get home from work with more pics.
No I am not going to share all 2000+ pics. LOL There are a lot of crappy pics. I have greatly narrowed it down.

BarbMazz

Have you noticed how many people are "working" but still here on RS? Like you, and me, and Al, and a whole bunch of others?

I look forward to seeing the pictures later tonight!

goldenmean

As I said after 3 weeks my LFS told me my tank had cycled and they recommended a CUC and said I could get a couple of hardy corals.
I started with 6 blue leg hermits, a couple of scarlet hermits, 6 astrea, & 4 nassarius snails. I also got a rock with some purple mushrooms and a colony of Green Star Polyps. I was fascinated with the hermits and fell in love with them. They are no where near as bad as their reputation! I had lots of hermit pics but my camera then did not have a macro setting so they are all blurry.

Attachments

• 1stCoral2.jpg
    1stCoral2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 448
  • 1stCoral.jpg
    1stCoral.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 451

goldenmean

Two weeks later I visit my LFS and pick out a nice colony of bright orange zoanthids. Looking at my pics it took several days for them to really open up all the way. I did have a HitchHicker Crab that I never could identify. It was in the Zoa's rock and it never came out. I would see a leg or two come out of its spot searching for food.

At about the one month mark i did get a good hermit pics. This one blue leg was moving to a new shell and he went back and forth a few times. Obviously a nassarrius snail had died . . . or been killed. I wasnt feeding the tank yet so I dont know what the nassarius could have been eating at that point so he could have starved. Notice the aiptasia in the substrate behind the hermit?
I learned about Joe's Juice early on in my reefing. I also had a mojano that moved around a bit and did spit. I think I kept him for a couple of months and then he too got the Juice.

Attachments

• OrangeZoa.jpg
    OrangeZoa.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 447
  • HH.Crab.jpg
    HH.Crab.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 442
  • Hermit1.jpg
    Hermit1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 443
  • Hermit2.jpg
    Hermit2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 438

goldenmean

A couple weeks after I added the orange zoas I added a Red Open Brain (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi). He was bright red with neon green markings and he was kind of shaped like a pair of lips. Here is a pic of him on the first day and the second pic is after he had been in the tank for a couple of weeks.

The 3rd pic is a FTS at one month

Attachments

• ROB1.jpg
    ROB1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 443
  • ROB2.jpg
    ROB2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 439
  • FTS.1mo.jpg
    FTS.1mo.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 439

goldenmean

Another 2 weeks pass and I HAVE to go to the LFS.
I picked out a colony of neon green Caulastrea aka trumpet, candy, candy cane coral. I placed him near the top of the tank because I knew she would want more light.

Attachments

• Candy1.jpg
    Candy1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 437
  • FTS.6wk.jpg
    FTS.6wk.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 436
  • FTS.6wk2.jpg
    FTS.6wk2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 437
  • Candy.Zoa.jpg
    Candy.Zoa.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 436

goldenmean

I waited 2 more weeks and added a magenta mouth fungia.
The fungia doesn't look so great here but he had just been added to the tank.
Wait till you see him later.
I also added two scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp.
This brings us to the two month mark from when the first livestock was added.
I have done a little re-aquascaping
Check out how large the Trachy gets during the day.

I tried to go slow. I added one coral at a time and waited 2 weeks between new coral.
Notice I still have not added any fish.
Also I have not yet discovered RS but I am about to.

That all for this eve. RS is about to upgrade servers and I got the new Coral Magazine in the mail today.

Attachments

• Fungia.jpg
    Fungia.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 435
  • FTS.2mo.jpg
    FTS.2mo.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 436
  • ROB3.jpg
    ROB3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 430

goldenmean

Here are some more pics of the fungia.
The first one is two weeks after it had been added to the tank
The next pic is about 4 months after.

Attachments

• Fungia@2wk.jpg
    Fungia@2wk.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 425
  • Fungia@4mo.jpg
    Fungia@4mo.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 426

kathywithbirds

Noice!!!! Our fungia did that too, it was a short tentacle but boy those tentacles are long to me!! Nice colors on everything... as usual.

So have we discovered RS yet?

goldenmean

I discovered RS during the end of April 2006 - 3 months after I added the first livestock to my nano.
Here is my "meet and greet" thread:
new reef forum - oh boy
In that thread I said my tank was 4 months old but I was counting when SW was added. Today I count from the end of my cycle which IMHO is more accurate measure of a tanks age. We really dont need to get into the "when does a new tank begin?" issue! LOL
The first thing that struck me was how friendly RS is.

goldenmean

One of my original LR pieces started to grow a zoantid at the 3 month mark. It was right front and center and no sign of zoas at all for all that time.
Then there was one polyp and quicky four as you can see in the first pic.
These few polyps grew to a large colony of over 150 polyps in about 10 months. It was pretty amazing.
The 1st pic is from 4/7/06
2nd pic - 8/13/06
3rd pic - 9/11/06
4th pic - 10/23/06
5th pic - 12/17/06

Attachments

• HH.zoa1.jpg
    HH.zoa1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 215
  • HH.zoa2.jpg
    HH.zoa2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 213
  • HH.zoa3.jpg
    HH.zoa3.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 214
  • HH.zoa4.jpg
    HH.zoa4.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 216
  • HH.zoa5.jpg
    HH.zoa5.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 213

goldenmean

Here are two more pics of the zoa colony that appeared out of no where.
These pics are from Feb. 2007 - 10 months after the first polyp appeared.
Your are getting a sneak preview of how the tank looked at just over a year.

Attachments

• HH.zoa6.jpg
    HH.zoa6.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 210
  • HH.zoa7.jpg
    HH.zoa7.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 209