150 gallon planning stages

ramora

150 gallon aquarium with stimulus package looking at 150 gallon sc aquarium which measures 5ft x 2ft by 2ft
lighting ati sunpower t5 high output light
Filteration trigger systems triton 44 v2 sump
Return pump reflux 6009 DC flow pump
Protein skimmer tune cotnline doc skimmer
Heating jbj true temp 500 watt digital titanium heater

ramora

150 gallon aquarium with stimulus package looking at 150 gallon sc aquarium which measures 5ft x 2ft by 2ft
lighting ati sunpower t5 high output light
Filteration trigger systems triton 44 v2 sump
Return pump reflux 6009 DC flow pump
Protein skimmer tune cotnline doc skimmer
Heating jbj true temp 500 watt digital titanium heater
Suppose to tune corn line doc skimmer

DaveK

Overall your equipment choices are good. I would suggest considering the following changes.

I would recommend good LED lighting over T5 lighting. There are just too many advantages to LED lighting. Among them, being able to adjust the exact color spectrum you want, being able to adjust them way down or up depending upon the needs of the system, often can be controlled via wifi from your computer or smart phone, use less power and don't require bulb changes every year or so. As usual with something like this, choose top quality equipment. One thing for sure, a top quality of one time of lighting will aleays beat out a poor quality lighting of the other type.

The Tunze Comline skimmer you choose would have to be one of the larger models, most of the smaller ones are just too snall for the tank size you are planning. My thoughts on Tunze as a company is that they make good equipment, but it's sometimes over priced for what you get, so shop around a bit.

On flow rates - Generally the water passing through the sump and skimmer should be about 5 times the size of the tank per hour. So for a 100 gal tank you want about 600 to 800 gph. For flow inside the tank this is best done with circulation pumps inside the tank. Pumps like the Ecotech Marine Vortex are usually considered the "gold standard" for stuff like this, but there are a lot of other excellent pumps out there.

DaveK

Your skimmer size would work but I'd consider it a little small. Skimmer manufacturers tend to be "very optimistic" when rateing the size tank it can be used on. Generally you want a skimmer rated for a tank about double the size of the tank you plan to use it on. Remember you also have water in the sump, refugium and possibly other places.

I have never used a maxspect gyre. To me they just looked like a pain to clean. Keep in mind that in a reef system algae and coraline algae gets all over everything. That's a mess to clean on anything. My choices on circulation pumps if money is no object would be Ecotech Marine or Tunze. If you want to spend less I'd look at Koralia or JBL. All of these are powerhead flow type pumps and you will need to do a little work to keep them a bit hidden.

Are you talking about how many circulation pumps would be needed or how many LED lighting fixtures would be needed?

ramora

Thanks alot for the input could someone give me a list of necessary equipment starting with ro di unit net siphon salt mix and the equipment listed above

DaveK

The best thing to do here is get the basic equipment and then get other items you need as you need them. With online shopping and overnight delivery, it's easy to do.

The one other item you will likely need it test kits. I have posted this before but it's worth repeating -

DaveK's Standard Lecture #4 – Test Kits

There are a host of items that you may wish to test for in a reef system.

First before you worry about the other tests, make sure your SG is correct. I highly recommend using a refractometer for this measurement. Aquarium grade hydrometers tend to be very inaccurate, especially when used over time.

Once you have the SG correct you'll need the following test kits for the initial cycle -
pH (This can also be done via a pH meter, which is more accurate, and expensive)
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate (low range)

To properly monitor the water, especially for corals, these these kits are often used -
KH or Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Phosphate

There are a host of other test kits you can get. I have some of them but do not typically use them.
Iodine - only needed if you are dousing iodine, which is not something I recommend.
Copper - only needed if you are treating a disease in a QT tank with copper.
Silicate - only needed if you suspect a problem with silicate in the water.
Strontium - only needed if dousing strontium

I think I've covered most of the major ones.

Each test kit works differently, so you need to consult the manufacturers instructions for each test.

As for brands, in aquarium grade test kits I like Elos, SeaChem and Salifret. Hach and LaMotte test kits are excellent, but extremely expensive. Most of the others are ok. Like anything else you get what you pay for.

If you do get a reading that seems way off, repeat the test, and if it still seems way off, use another brand test kit and repeat the test. In other words, consider that the test kit may be wrong.

You'll notice that you most likely will need to get a lot of test kits. It's often a lot less expensive to order them via the net, and you'll also know the test kit hasn't been sitting on the LFS shelf for years.

ramora

Two more days till I can buy a 150 5ft by 2ft by 2ft sc aquarium reef ready tank next a triton 44 v2 sump by trigger systems