14000k or 14000k JMB Steve's LEDs?

melvis

About to finally pull the trigger and order myself a Steve's LEDs retrofit for my C130 after watching closely the success @Pat24601 and @dgilbert2 have been having.

Problem is, I can't decide between the 14000K or the 140000K JMB Special....anyone got any ideas or info?

I know this is all down to preference and I've read loads on the differences etc, but it's this lime thing that is causing me a headache and whether the overall JMB one will be too blue.

dgilbert2

About to finally pull the trigger and order myself a Steve's LEDs retrofit for my C130 after watching closely the success @Pat24601 and @dgilbert2 have been having.

Problem is, I can't decide between the 14000K or the 140000K JMB Special....anyone got any ideas or info?

I know this is all down to preference and I've read loads on the differences etc, but it's this lime thing that is causing me a headache and whether the overall JMB one will be too blue.
Be interesting what Jeff says on this @StevesLEDs. Personally I bet unless you had the two of these side by side you would not tell the difference?

dgilbert2

Also, if you fit the dimmer potentiometers you can quickly adjust the colour temperature from blue to quite warm, so I wouldn't worry about being too blue. As I understand it you want to push the blue so you are comfortable with the level to look at. You do adjust to it :)

Pat24601

As you know, this is the issue I struggled with mightily for a bit. Other than Jeff, I'm not sure there is anyone here that can help all that much and even with Jeff it's a matter of aesthetic opinion. I do believe Jeff said 14k super full spectrum is the most popular and the 14k JBM is 2nd most popular version they sell.

I'd wager with @dgilbert2 that you wouldn't notice unless you had them side by side.

I have not seen them side by side, so I don't know which I prefer. I do know that I'm very happy with 14k super full spectrum and if I were ordering again that's what I would do up until the point I saw the two side by side and could make a better decision.

I think there is a 98.2% chance you will be happy either way (unless it turns out you just don't like LEDs, which is possible). I don't think there is a "wrong" decision here.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Basically there is only a small difference. Remember that what I think is pretty, might not be something that you think is pretty, and there is no perfect choice that suits everybody's tastes.

14,000K JMB focuses a little more on natural, non-iridescence coral colors, and is "whiter". (probably closer to 13,000K). You definitely cannot see any lime color in the aquarium.

14,000K Super Full, focuses a little more on iridescence coral colors, and is a little bluer. (probably closer to 15,000K).

Steve likes to call them both 14,000K because if we have too many options, then customers just get confused, and the end result of any of the choices tend to look really good anyway.

Like dgilbert2 says, you can adjust the blues and the whites independently, so you are able to fine tune the exact color ratio you want, regardless of the setup you choose. By the way, we have sold more 14,000K Super Full Spectrum combinations that all other's combined, and have never had a single return on the 14,000K Super Full Spectrum in over 5,000 systems sold - so there is something to be said for that.

Hope that helps?
Jeff

melvis

As always, this site rocks!!!!! :celebrate:

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, it's been playing over in my mind all day as I've sat trying to concentrate at work lol. I was close to pulling the trigger on the JMBs after another check back on here (in case there was any more responses) whilst on way to another meeting lol. Thankfully, running late for my meeting meant I didn't, as Pat, Glenn and Jeff's responses further added to dgilbert's and have helped me make up my mind.

It's the iridescence I wanted, but I didn't want it too blue either but knowing I can adjust these to suit has sealed it and the 14000K Super Full Spectrum it is...order to be placed shortly!

Cheers guys.

dgilbert2

As always, this site rocks!!!!! :celebrate:

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, it's been playing over in my mind all day as I've sat trying to concentrate at work lol. I was close to pulling the trigger on the JMBs after another check back on here (in case there was any more responses) whilst on way to another meeting lol. Thankfully, running late for my meeting meant I didn't, as Pat, Glenn and Jeff's responses further added to dgilbert's and have helped me make up my mind.

It's the iridescence I wanted, but I didn't want it too blue either but knowing I can adjust these to suit has sealed it and the 14000K Super Full Spectrum it is...order to be placed shortly!

Cheers guys.

Good choice Melvis and welcome aboard the LED club :).

Any questions along the way you know where everyone is :yup:

melvis

Cheers mate!

Looking forward to the install, but as I said in my chronicle, might have to let the missus go shopping that day...lol. I'll spend sometime over the next week or so having a good read through the threads of installs and try and piece it together in my head, but certainly appreciate and will no doubt be calling on the wise folk who've been there before!

Pat24601

I really found reading ahead as much confusing/intimidating as helpful. I know they've changed the instructions since then, but until you can actually see what's in front of you, I'm not sure how much reading ahead helps.

melvis

I guess we'll see about being wise when I reach out for help...;)

I think that's a good point Pat and tbh, I've probably read yours and dgilbert's posts (amongst others) a couple of times already. So, I think I'll just sit back and forget I've ordered them until the turn up - it'll be like Christmas in August/September!

Pat24601

Oh, the exception to what I just said was that I needed a 17/64 drill bit ( if I recall correctly). Since I didn't have one, reading ahead and buying one ahead of time saved me a trip to Home Depot in the middle of the install.

Pat24601

Oh, also, I forgot to mention, I love using the LEDs at %1 as moonlights. While I am OK running without moonlights, it really looks great under the 1% blues. A lot of iridescent pop.

melvis

Nice one, cheers Pat. I think I've got one of those drill bits but will definitely check to make sure I'm ready with everything to go, including charging the actual drill - which I have a tendency to forget when a job is intended.

I'll see how I go with the AquaRay flexi LED strip I've got in there at present as this has served me really well up until now. Was one of my early purchases when I realised how dim the C130's 4 stock ones were.